ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Moderating U!
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I live up in the mountains, there is a lot of road work being done to the roads. The main road up to my house has just finished tarring the road over some loose gravel. Well today I thought it would be safe to drive through it since it was like the 2nd day of it being there.

Mistake #1: I have VERY soft compound tires and the tar and gravel stick to my tires like kitty litter. And then all of these tar soaked rocks shoot up all underneath my car.

Mistake #2: My rims are very open and my brake rotors are open to the elements.

So after going over the newly paved road, I make a turn and all of a sudden, my brake rotor starts to squeak over and over. But only when I am turning. I thought it might be because I just played with a Cobra SVT in the hills and I was breaking pretty hard and did temporary warpage to my calipers? So I braked pretty hard on my way up to my house to try to get them straight again. No luck.

So I got home, parked it. Went and got my gorilla suit on and the jack and jacked up the passenger side where I heard the squeaking. I took off the wheel and inspected the brakes. Front side looked clean. But inside the dust cover on the back of the brake, a couple pieces of tar covered gravel rocks have stuck to the underside of the dust cover and had been grinding on the back of the brake rotor. There was only a slight and very small groove from the rock. I did my usual swearing and cleaned them out. Did the same inspection on the other side of the car and found nothing. Put the wheel back on and went for another drive. No sound. No squeak. Nothing.

Morale of the story is. If you have aftermarket rims and your brake rotors are out in the open, be careful where you drive. And if anyone else hears a squeaking sound coming out of your brakes. Also check the back of the brakes underneath the dust cover.

Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
KurleeDaddeeWRX said:
So after going over the newly paved road, I make a turn and all of a sudden, my brake rotor starts to squeak over and over. But only when I am turning. I thought it might be because I just played with a Cobra SVT in the hills and I was breaking pretty hard and did temporary warpage to my calipers? So I braked pretty hard on my way up to my house to try to get them straight again. No luck.
Thanks for the tip, KD. BTW, typically the rotors warp, not the calipers. ;) I'm driving around with warped rotors. I don't even think I could get them cut. Guess I'll be ordering my DBA rotors sooner than I thought.

-Jim

·
Moderating U!
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: Squeaking Sound Coming From Brakes!

PlatinumWRX said:

Thanks for the tip, KD. BTW, typically the rotors warp, not the calipers. ;) I'm driving around with warped rotors. I don't even think I could get them cut. Guess I'll be ordering my DBA rotors sooner than I thought.

-Jim
That's what I meant Jim. ROTORS. Sorry. For some reason I always get rotors and calipers mixed up.

Do you rotors squeak constantly? I hate that. Makes your car sound like a Ford Explorer.

Are the DBA rotors cross drilled? Or slotted?

I really like the Willwood brake set up (rotors and calipers) I-speed sells. Looks really nice. Don't know what size the rotors are though.

Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Squeaking Sound Coming From Brakes!

KurleeDaddeeWRX said:
Do you rotors squeak constantly? I hate that. Makes your car sound like a Ford Explorer.

Are the DBA rotors cross drilled? Or slotted?
My rotors don't squeak at all. They just vibrate violently and shake the steering wheel under any kind of hard braking.

The DBA rotors are slotted. Avoid cross-drilled rotors. Joel of Sheehan Motor Racing says, "Cross-drilled rotors turned you pads into swiss cheese." Plus, they can crack because of the holes.

-Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts