Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently got my car back from the bodyshop after a month (yea it was that bad), and everything was fine until a couple of days ago my 04 wrx started squeaking.

At first I thought it was a belt so I replaced the worn out A/C belt. The squeaking continued so I took it to the shop, and the guy told me that it was coming from the driveshaft and that it would need replacing and it would be almost a$800-900 job.

Guys am I being ripped off? And could it be something else like a u-joint? Im not a gear head, but something seems fishy about this.

· Water.....sometimes waves
2,183 Posts
Do you mean a front "half shaft?" Is the squeak coming from front end? Reman half shafts are like $45. I have replaced these on other cars myself and it took a few hours. That seems really high if it is a half shaft. If you mean the rear drive shaft, I cannot tell you but it still seems a little high.

· Registered
7 Posts
I'd be fuming if the shop told you that you had to pay more money after they were supposed to have fixed everything to begin with. I mean, they are supposed to be passing a vehicle back to you that's already been fixed back to good working order, but it's possible that they missed it out in the first repair. Any way you can ask them for the repair history?

· Registered
724 Posts
Replacing the driveshafts (also called half shafts) should be nowhere near 800-900 dollars. You can pick them up for like 60-80 a piece and do the job in under an hour. I believe you might need an alignment for camber after you do the job but unless this mechanic means he's going to do all four half shafts and an alignment for 800, then somethings a little fishy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.