ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as i was driving home today almost to my house from work I started hearing a constant knock sound coming from the internals. When i got home i immediately turned the car off, went and got some thicker weighted oil to put in it and some Lucas Gear oil then proceeded to change the oil.It seemed to have quietened the knock down a tad but it's still obviously still knocking. It is a 2013 wrx sedan with about 143,000 miles on it. Cobb stage 1+, I am almost positive it has spun a rod bearing. Can you replace the bearings by dropping the oil pan on these cars? Didn't know if it would be possible where it's a boxer engine, any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,995 Posts
Doesn't your engine have those 14mm allen plugs on either side that you have to remove so that you can access the wrist pins? Maybe I'm thinking of this all wrong but I can't visualize how you'd remove the big ends with the motor still in the nose. I'm curious though! Bump! Anybody?

·
Premium Member
10,802 Posts
If you don't resurface the rod and crank journals you'll just spin it again and again.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,995 Posts
I’ll admit if it were a Toyota 20R my first thought would be to drop the sump and go for it. I doubt that’s physically possible in an EJ and if it is, I don’t know if it’s practical.

·
BooSTIng
2,823 Posts
Unfortunately you are more than likely looking at a new shortblock at this point. The less you run the car, the less damage it will do. What you should be doing is pulling the engine and tearing it down to see how badly the bearing spun and the extent of the damage. If you don't have the know-how or ability to do this, then a Subaru performance shop is your next best bet.

I feel your pain. My 2012 Sti spun a rod bearing. I had to replace the shortblock and just ended up going crazy with my build. Things can and will get expensive FAST. But price also all depends on what all you building your car for. A stock replacement shortblock is around 2-3k. But your heads will need checked, and your turbo, and anywhere oil touches. When bearings spin it effects everything that oil touches. Remember when I said to stop letting the engine run? Well that's because the more you do, the more damage you are doing. Little shavings of the bearing will scar up your heads, resulting in having to have your heads ported and polished to remove the scarring, or even replacing them entirely if it is too bad. My stock turbo went out too, due to the rod bearing spinning. The shavings made their way through the oil and into the turbo, thus trashing it.

Good luck man.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts