ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all again, well i don't know if this has been asked i did a search in the Advanced search area and was wondering if any one has ordered their new subarus with the SPT Performance exhast System? My '12 WRX Limited Sedan should reach Port they claim by the middle of Next week, and i might decide on adding it to the car depending on the type of responses i get from everyone.

Or is it fine stock? can i add it with out tuning it? this is my First WRX and i now nothing about them so any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks......

Mike.

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
I ordered mine with the exhaust since I was planning to put one anyway. With the SPT it would be covered if anything went wrong with the exhaust. You shouldn't need a tune with the cat back. I heard the noise of the regular muffler and I was more then happy with the SPT. The only gripe I have with it is that it does not sit flush with the bumper. Also when I ordered mine the dealership had to install it after the car arrived.

·
and the Funky Bunch
6,124 Posts
No tune needed, and it will basically add no power. Can't comment on sound as I haven't heard it. I like the stock exhaust but can certainly see why some people would think it is too quiet.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just had mine added 2 days ago and I'm in a sedan. A lot of people say its a quiet exhaust but mine is significantly loud compared to stock. Mine fit perfect. I'm sure that's hit and miss on fitment. Also had the same experience as cflip2x the dealer installed a week after receiving car. If you want to keep warranty go with SPT. No tune is needed. Just a heads up the stock/factory exhaust actually sounds a lot better than say my 08 WRX. Unless the dealer are total douche-bags any CBE should not void warranty. If anybody has been refused warranty due to CBE please chime in.

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
Just to debunk a misconception.The exhaust is not included in the bumper to bumper 36k warranty if it was installed after delivery.The exhaust itself is still warrantied.

What does this mean?If SOA were ever to determine that a maintenance issue were caused because of the exhaust(very unlikely),they can deny a warranty claim.

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
I have had bad luck with the exhausts with the salt and pot holes in NJ so hoping that it will cover any possible defects. Im sure Ill got to a full 3" eventually but I am very happy with the sound. I know people have said it was too loud for them though I'm used to loud exhausts I used to have flowmasters in my previous car.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have had bad luck with the exhausts with the salt and pot holes in NJ so hoping that it will cover any possible defects. Im sure Ill got to a full 3" eventually but I am very happy with the sound. I know people have said it was too loud for them though I'm used to loud exhausts I used to have flowmasters in my previous car.
i am not positive yet, as i have not decided if i am Leasing it or buying it when it hits the Dealer, but i am thinking that i am Going to Store the care in the Maine winter Months, they use Calcium Cloride on the roads in maine and i dont want that **** on my car.

·
and the Funky Bunch
6,124 Posts
If you can buy it, do that. Financially there are some very specific circumstances where leasing makes sense, but for the most part it's not advantageous (sp?)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you can buy it, do that. Financially there are some very specific circumstances where leasing makes sense, but for the most part it's not advantageous (sp?)
the reason i am thinking about Leaseing is i get sick of vehicles pretty fast and leasing give me the option of walking away after 3 years,

·
Registered
139 Posts
The SPT sounds great, so much so that I bought it again when I got my second WRX. As with all noisy items it's up to you to decide if you like the noise though.

For me the SPT was too loud and reverberated in the cabin when I got it. Adding some dynamat to the the trunk made the exhaust sound perfect though. I'm quite happy with it

·
and the Funky Bunch
6,124 Posts
the reason i am thinking about Leaseing is i get sick of vehicles pretty fast and leasing give me the option of walking away after 3 years,
If you finance it, you can still walk away from it after 3 years and be able to get some value out of it with a trade-in or selling it, as long as you owe less than the car is worth. If you lease, you're assured you have nothing from this car towards your next car.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
You dont need a tune for a catback exhaust. The spt sounds good but is pricey

·
Registered
154 Posts
I just added one on today after going back and forth a few times. It came down to sound and build quality. For the sound it's the mellower of the ones I considered. I liked the looks of it compared to the stock pipes and with a beefier sound. The sound is actually pretty loud when it's brand new but I've learned they get mellower as time goes on. Now for the build quality comment. The Cobb is really well made but it was just a bit louder than I wanted as well as having to do other adjustments. SPT was just bolt on and drive, yeah I know you prolly know this already. There was another brand, and I don't feel like starting a flame war so I'm not going to name names but the hangers and the build quality was lacking when compared to the Cobb..plus it just hangs down lower as if it doesn't fit right ( just my opinion ).

·
Banned
296 Posts
I skipped the spt because I know I will eventually get a 3" catback. I did not want to pay the rediculous $1100 for something I was going to replace anyways. Ive seen guys put their spt catbacks up for sale with less than 2k miles on them and they're asking like 6-700 for em. Thats to big a loss for me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts