ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a new wrx and its begging for an exhaust. I have a extended unlimited mile,time warranty on my motor, transmission, and AWD. So i only have one option to mod and that is SPT parts (cant void the warranty just yet lol). Wondering how they are? If they are even worth the money?

·
Banned
664 Posts
warrenty sucks. id rather take care of the motor then let subi rebuild it if something goes wrong. they only give you a one time motor replacement too so no thanks on all that.

you can install any CBE and no the SPT is not worth it. to small, to $$, burns your bumper, and welds can break becaue they're not stainless.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Interesting. First time I've heard a negative review of the SPT exhaust that wasn't limited to performance or price.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Interesting. First time I've heard a negative review of the SPT exhaust that wasn't limited to performance or price.
+1

I'll agree that the SPT catback is a little pricey. Mine hasn't burned my bumper with ~15,000 miles. This is the first time I've heard the issue of burned bumpers(Syno care to share your experience and/or pics?). The connections are machine welded so it seems like they should hold for a good long time. Plus if the weld does crack then SOA will have to replace them under warranty. It's a good option if you want to avoid conflicts concerning warranty. They're not too loud after the engine has warmed up, but they have a real nice sporty low rumble.

·
Registered
558 Posts
+1

I'll agree that the SPT catback is a little pricey. Mine hasn't burned my bumper with ~15,000 miles. This is the first time I've heard the issue of burned bumpers(Syno care to share your experience and/or pics?). The connections are machine welded so it seems like they should hold for a good long time. Plus if the weld does crack then SOA will have to replace them under warranty. It's a good option if you want to avoid conflicts concerning warranty. They're not too loud after the engine has warmed up, but they have a real nice sporty low rumble.
I agree! It has a great sound and there are no warranty issues

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
664 Posts

well i have a white car, i have no idea why they thought it was a good idea to make the muffler tips 2-3" under the bumper so all the fumes would just rise straight up and roast your bumper. flush at least for crying out loud.

·
Registered
750 Posts
well i have a white car, i have no idea why they thought it was a good idea to make the muffler tips 2-3" under the bumper so all the fumes would just rise straight up and roast your bumper. flush at least for crying out loud.
Hmm... I have a 5 door model so I have the black diffuser before the actual bumper (My car is silver). Though I would think that even flush exhaust may dirty up the bumpers since exhaust fumes can be blown back into the bumper if you're constantly in stop and go traffic. Are you running a catless down pipe with your SPT catback? The catalytic converter tend to clean up the exhaust fumes as well to reduce the "burn" stain.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Syno - Is the bumper burnt or is it just blackened from running a little rich?

·
Banned
664 Posts
Syno - Is the bumper burnt or is it just blackened from running a little rich?
its just black now because i have a modded TXS CBE i made. my tips stick out about an inch. i only ran the SPT for about 200 miles so i personally didnt get burned. i have seen others complain though on nasioc. also see others complaining we need CF exhaust shields!

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
You do know it is very normal for the bumpers of tuned Subarus to blacken with any exhaust due to the slightly rich nature (and often being catless or at least having less cats) of aftermarket tunes right? I had seen many subarus (not my own as its black) have this on the bumper with many different exhausts.

·
Banned
664 Posts
You do know it is very normal for the bumpers of tuned Subarus to blacken with any exhaust due to the slightly rich nature (and often being catless or at least having less cats) of aftermarket tunes right? I had seen many subarus (not my own as its black) have this on the bumper with many different exhausts.
lol no kidding, but when bumpers are being destroyed and need longer exhaust hangers its not normal. why pay more money for more headache?

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I agree that the SPT is overpriced, however you are also paying for the OEM part benefits (zero question of warranty, yes even for just the catback). Once again though, when i ran an Invidia (hugely popular) downpipe with Borla (high quality) catback I also had to run extended hangers so that it would quit rubbing on my driveshaft.

What Im trying to say is don't bash the OEM parts on points that are true for aftermarket parts as well

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Obviously there's going to be no performance gains for the cat back, but was wondering how much louder is it then stock? A noticeable difference worth the money or no?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've seen older SPTs that were substandard. That's where all the poor perceptions of build and price come from.

The SPT on the '11 STi sedan is one of the cheapest out there, and it's a quality part. True the tips don't stick out past the bumper, but there is no blacking on mine.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Im talking strictly SPT, never heard in person but on youtube sounds eh
Exhausts never sound right on captured audio. It really depends on what you want. If you want ear splitting loud then SPT will not cut it. My SPT exhaust opened out the sporty rumble (bassy to the point that most microphones will have a hard time capturing it accurately plus you need equally good speakers to reproduce it properly) yet it's quiet enough not to be annoying.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I love my Spt exhaust. I drive 25 miles to work on the highway and interstate, and their is very little drone. City driving has an aggressive, sporty low rumble. I heard stock, and I love my spt!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 19 of 19 Posts