ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i have a question for all you spt intake users. Is it really worth it? I was thinking about picking one up because i found one good condition for the right price. I know that no one needs and intake upgrade until much higher boost, but im just wondering if there are any potential gains, such as quicker spool, lower under hood temps, sound, hp/tq increase from the stock intake.
I have an 05 wrx stage 2, with samco hoses and i dont know where to go from here haha. Is there a tune for the AP that i can download to run stage two+intake? And for anyone who says its not worth it...what about with the heatshield
thanks in advance

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
Stage 2 usually includes an intake. You won't notice much other than you'll hear your turbo more.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
intakes work a little differently on the GDBs...they are just noise makers before you get to any significant power output. Only thing that really necessitates and intake is an FMIC, but by the time you even need one of them you will be at the power output that exceeds the efficiency of the stock airbox.

With that being said, the stock airbox on the 02-07 WRXs and STIs are not really restrictive at all until you get to mods that give you over 300whp. (past stage 2, turbo swap, etc.). These MYs don't necessarily need a reflash unlike the newer generations (08+) considering SRIs don't do much as long as they retain stock diameter tubes (like the SPT, Cobb, K&N Typhoon) since they don't skew the MAF sensor.

You possibly will notice a little earlier spool, but more than likely not on a 2.0L block...what you will notice is much more audible sound of the turbo spooling, and the BPV venting to the intake tract which will probably sound like it is spooling sooner...so take it as you will.

In short, you won't gain anything but sound until you get to higher power applications.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts