ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the Cobb stage 1 or stage 1+ maps are compatible with the spt intake? Or how it performs.... I just got the ap and want to know if I should install it now or grab the Cobb sf instead.... Thanks.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Cobb offers Map Notes for a reason...

While it shouldn't necessarily cause an issue, the only way to tell would be with datalogs with a WBO2.

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
I had a spt intake with the vf39 map and my boost fluxuated pretty bad when I was at WOT. I purchased the cobb intake and no longer have that issue.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Cobb designs their maps with specific mods. The SPT intake is not one of those mods, it says it all in the map notes. Unfortunately if you want to run an OTS tune, you need to abide by exactly what the map notes are.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I am wondering something similar. I have heard that intakes such as KN typhoon, SPT, and COBB are all so similar that they are interchangeable. Obviously, others disagree and recommend COBBs intake with stage 2. I have the typhoon and have been considering just reinstalling all of the stock intake parts. Is this Idea worth the effort, or should I just leave the typhoon on and keep driving? It seems as though COBB has changed form recommending that you keep your stock intake for st2, to now recommending their SR intake. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ended up installing the cobb ap with the spt intake because i also didnt think it would matter and it did, my car ran like garbage... Boost was spiking and my airflow was all messed up. I put that Cobb sf intake in the next day and it cleared everything up... Still mild boost spike at times but a protune will clear that up soon...

·
Registered
290 Posts
What about the stock setup?

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Intakes are designed differently, though some are similar. You have different tubing diameters, tubing lengths, filter media, filter efficiency, ones that have a heatshield and sit in the fender, and short rams that sit in the engine bay.

Being such a critical component of the engine, and having a very sensitive MAF sensor makes them highly susceptible to causing problems.

You can only RELIABLY use the specific intake for a tune that it was designed for.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts