ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I was reading that all car exhausts have to be factory in Fairfax County, VA. I want an SPT catback but IDK if that counts as factory. What do you guys think?

·
The Fruit
3,147 Posts
as long as its not outstandingly loud I'm sure you can get away with an aftermarket exhaust. SPT though, since it IS a subaru part should be fine.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
You should be fine I have the SPT catback on my 05 WRX, and I haven't had any problems it's not to loud.
It does have a very nice low tune. Also it's back by Subaru. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
You should be fine I have the SPT catback on my 05 WRX, and I haven't had any problems it's not to loud.
It does have a very nice low tune. Also it's back by Subaru. :)

This is exactly right. I have an Invidia Q300 system coming in the mail for my 11 WRX and I asked a few cop friends of mine in Fairfax and they said as long as it doesn't sound like a Civic with a fart can you will be fine. Have fun with that build!

·
Banned
2,054 Posts
SPT is sold by Subaru,so it is OEM.
With the label "for off-road use only".

Chances are you will get pulled over for it. Whether or not a sales reciept from Subaru will hold up in court, depends on how much of a **** the judge is.

This is exactly right. I have an Invidia Q300 system coming in the mail for my 11 WRX and I asked a few cop friends of mine in Fairfax and they said as long as it doesn't sound like a Civic with a fart can you will be fine. Have fun with that build!
That's a lie. I've been pulled over for subtle exhaust even with out of state plates.

·
Registered
428 Posts
With the label "for off-road use only".
Chances are you will get pulled over for it. Whether or not a sales reciept from Subaru will hold up in court, depends on how much of a **** the judge is.
I doubt a Subaru sales receipt would do much unless the car came with it from the factory and you have the original window sticker. Also, the paperwork for an SPT exhaust clearly says the exhaust may not meet state and local requirements.

If it was my car and I lived in VA, I wouldn't touch it with how they are focused on raising revenue by uber strict enforcement of equipment violations. Even if you get out of the ticket you'll have court costs to pay. That is why when I go to VA I usually take my wife's Yari, not my WRX.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts