ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, im a new AWD rabid fan! Just bought my 05 back in november, and so far have been having a blast with it. So far i have a bpm twister spec full turbo back exhaust, cobb front and rear lower sways, STi front and rear strut towers, and a HKS turbo timer(preventative maintainence first!)......... anyways, i have some already planned mods, ie cobb accessport, a custom FMIC im building currently, and a cobb short ram intake........ now i have 2 questions, one pretains to this thread, one kind of doesnt, but i figured i'd lump em in together and get it all over with in one shot(sorry), anyways, im looking into getting springs, what are the best springs to get? Im looking for high high spring rates(in the realm of 8-10kg plus, 8 at the lowest in the rear), anyways, what are some recommendations for that aspect? And for the second, im trying to find out if the stock turbo is ball bearing? Cause if not, its definately time for a boost upgrade, i want to keep the stock trim, cause i love the range and power(more than enough to smoke ricers, but not too much to cause my gas funds to go BLEH), anyways guys, any help would be greatly appreciated!:screwy:

~Always outnumbered, never outgunned

·
Registered
266 Posts
Get rid of the turbo timer, no need in our cars. Get EM ASAP because running a trubo back w/out EM is not good and it will take care of your boost safely. From what I have read people are generally happy with Tein H-Techs, STi, and Prodrive springs.

·
Registered
10,778 Posts
First, start searching and read the stickies. Many of your answers are there.

Second, with regard to the spring rates you mention are you prepping the car for some type of motorsport? These rates are pretty stiff. If you simply intend to use the car for street use, you can/should go with an uprated set of springs and a good set of adjustable struts.

For those rates, you will need to go with a set of coilovers. IMO the Tein Monoflex are a very nice unit without breaking the bank.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
First, start searching and read the stickies. Many of your answers are there.

Second, with regard to the spring rates you mention are you prepping the car for some type of motorsport? These rates are pretty stiff. If you simply intend to use the car for street use, you can/should go with an uprated set of springs and a good set of adjustable struts.

For those rates, you will need to go with a set of coilovers. IMO the Tein Monoflex are a very nice unit without breaking the bank.
+1 on all that, especially the question about why you want such stiff springs. Stiffer doesn't always equal better handling.

·
Banned
327 Posts
go for the prodrive. very good reliable springs. they lower .8 inches, and they still work GREAT with stock struts. Also, they give the car a much stiffer feel.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea, ive been racing in the SCCA for years now, in H-Stock and have just made the jump recently, and the reason i want those spring rates besides that(and the fact that i dont give a crap about ride quality, see soft, lol), is that ive noticed alot that with how stiff the car is side to side(with the kicker asser sway bars n braces), that the "mushy" stock suspension combined with the tires i have, make for AWD drifting easy........ and sometimes unexpected, easily controllable, but i will need those spring rates when i pop my R compounds on there, and as for the turbo timer, better safe than sorry i say, plus its on the dang thing so, lol.........

but i appreciate the help guys(although, in the end, i just may skip the cable bill one month and go with some megan racing track series coilovers, YUMMMMMYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!)

·
"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre"
2,190 Posts
Prodrive, Cobb, SPT, STI........ all made by Eibach. (although to different specs.

STI springs - slightly lower, but still uneven
Cobb - VERY low, tires will rub
Tein - a LOT of people hate them...very low, wear out quickly
Prodrive - nice even stance, good handling, stiffer ride
Eibach pro-kit - nice even stance, moderate drop, stock-like on the highway, but better in the curves.

I'd go with the eibachs.... or the prodrives depending on your needs.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually, the megans are REALLY good coilovers! Suprising little find(at least on my friends RBed up 240), but i race in Central Carolinas, and the reason i want those spring rates is because the stiffer=better=mo grip, the springs will push the tires down, not the car up, but yea, ive deicded to go with em

·
Registered
0 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts