ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me if this question has been asked a hundred times already.

I have a 2003 WRX Sedan. I am not happy with the extra gap above the front wheels. I am running 225/45-17 Pole Positions. I am looking for suggestions on springs that will get rid of most of the front gap without making the ride too hard. I ride a lot of rough roads and would rather not have them throw me and the car around. I would also rather not have to any other suspension modifications. I have looked at the SPT Performance springs, but I am not really about what else is available or better. Any help with this matter is greatly appreciated!!

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
the SPTs don't offer much in height reduction.

make sure whatever you choose, get progressive rates. they will be more daily driver friendly.

eibach prokits are a good and popular option.

dR

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I like my prodrives. They are fine for everyday driving even though they have a linear spring rate. They definitely get rid of the wheel gap. If you want pics let me know and I will post some up.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I've got the progress springs and the wheel gap isn't completely gone, but it is very even and the springs don't ride noticably different from stock even over bumpy roads. Handling is much better.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Eibach prokit springs have slightly lower spring rates than the prodrives. They lower the car slightly over an inch and give a near stock ride quality. The wheel gap is still slightly larger in front.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked at the Prodrive springs on their website. They state that their springs are manufacured by Eibach. Are the Prodrive "Eibach" different from the Eibach "Eibach" springs? How much can I realistically expect to reduce the gap difference by? It looks like almost 1.5" difference now...

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Here are mine before and after teh prodrives.

Before:

After:

Keep in mind that the after pics were taken the day after the night I lowered it. They have since settled some more.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like the looks of that. It looks like what it should have looked like from the factory. Those are the Prodrive Prokit springs, you say the ride is still manageable? I notice you still have the 16" tires. When I put my 17" 45's on I notice a significant difference in ride, and of course handling.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Yes, I agree they should have looked like that from the factory. And yes they are the prodrive springs. I got a great deal from Adam over at Z1 performance.

The ride is very manageable IMO. I am sure that will change once I get some rims, but with 17's you should still have enough tire not to make it too rough of a ride.

·
Registered
598 Posts
csacom said:
I looked at the Prodrive springs on their website. They state that their springs are manufacured by Eibach. Are the Prodrive "Eibach" different from the Eibach "Eibach" springs? How much can I realistically expect to reduce the gap difference by? It looks like almost 1.5" difference now...
the eibach prokits and the SPT springs for the 02-03 are the same spring. the prodrives are made by eibach, but they are not the same thing as prokits.

i got prokits, they ride and nice and give a you drop that looks good and still provides decent height.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, I am a little ignorant when it comes to springs... There are 2 "types", progressive and linear? I amssume the difference is that the progressive spring gets exponentialy stiffer the more you push it, where as the linear spring gets stiffer at a constant rate? When you talk about lower and higher spring rates, does a higher spring rate mean a stiffer spring?

·
Moderating U!
6,318 Posts
I loved my Eibach Pro Kit springs. I had a set on my stock struts. Then I sold them and went with Tanabe Sustec Pro coilovers. Then one of the struts blew, and I went with another set of Eibach Pro Kit springs and KYB AGX struts (pictured below). If I had to do it all over again, I would buy another set of Eibachs. I loved the ride height and spring rate. They were perfect since I live in the mountains and take hard turns daily.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
KurleeDaddeeWRX: To me the front gap still appears to be there... albeit not as large. Did is sit different with the Eibachs on there originally?

·
Registered
598 Posts
the front wheel gap with eibachs is like 3 fingers and 2.5 maybe if your you a big guy. the rear is 2 fingers. the drop is even, but it's how the fenders are cut that make it look like that. my accord was the same way with prokits. imo, it's a great drop for those who need ground clearance and drive on rough roads.

·
Moderating U!
6,318 Posts
csacom said:
KurleeDaddeeWRX: To me the front gap still appears to be there... albeit not as large. Did is sit different with the Eibachs on there originally?
No, about the same. There are other springs that may lower the front a little more, like the Teins, but the ride comfort is pretty bad from what I have heard. The only way to fully get rid of the the fender gap in the front is to buy coilovers. That way you can adjust height and dampening for comfort. But I don't know if you want to spend that kind of money.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Here's a pic of mine with the Prodrive springs. I would also recommend the Prodrive springs over the Eibachs. The Prodrives are linear and ride slightly rougher than stock, but handle better in transitions than the Eibachs. For example, when you do a quick lane change, the Eibachs will take a split second to set before the car moves over where as the Prodrives will have the car reacting a bit quicker.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts