ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have the Ver7 STi inverted strut and matching spring setup on my 02 WRX sedan. I love the setup, but I'm looking to lower the car. I was wondering if anyone has any experience putting lowering springs on these struts. What springs would work best for me? I've done research, but can't find any definitive answers.
Thanks for any help.

psycho

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
I got to run in a car w/ v7 struts w/ the v7 STi pinks (had the Grp N tops as well) very nice setup- drop was nice (`1"), but not too "nice". These springs were designed around that strut so they should work out pretty good.

Big Sky

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am strongly considering those springs. However, I'm also looking into something with a little more of a drop. I was wondering if a lower spring such as the Eibach, SPT (made by Eibach), or the Teins would also work well without prematurely damaging the STi struts. Any thoughts?

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
psychobooe said:
I am strongly considering those springs. However, I'm also looking into something with a little more of a drop. I was wondering if a lower spring such as the Eibach, SPT (made by Eibach), or the Teins would also work well without prematurely damaging the STi struts. Any thoughts?
A couple- the SPT springs are just rebadged Eibach spring- no difference except color. They are a spring designed for the oem strut- rather low spring rates. Your performance would degrade w/ these from your STi springs- you'd be lower, performance less- probably not the direction you want to head.

I don't know enough about the Teins (spring rates/progressive vs linear/lowering etc).

Remember many of the lowering springs made are made w/ the oem strut in mind, which has much less damping than the struts your currently running.

My advice is to pick a spring that is designed around the STi strut that doesn't lower too excessively.

Big Sky

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
the teins are a bit of a rough ride, and a little too low. the stock struts wont handle those well after time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I'm running on the STi inverted struts, so that's not an issue.
Big Sky - basically my only option for springs designed around my struts is to go with the STi pinks. Do you know where I can find these? I've found the Ver8 ones, but not the Ver7. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
According to www.gruppe-s.com, the STi pinks lower 1.0" front and rear with spring rates of 200/185. However, the Tein S-Techs lower 2.0" front and 0.7" rear with spring rates of 218/157. So, the Teins have a stiffer front spring rate, but softer rear rate than the STi's. Would the Teins work then?

·
Premium Member
16,991 Posts
The F/R difference in rates on the S-techs is not good for handling, IMO. That's only a marginal increase over stock in the rear springs WITH a drop. This combo would probably lead to some bottoming out in back and understeer problems in general.

Correct me if I'm off, Bigsky. :)

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
A two inch drop in the front is quite a bit IMO (sometimes the 2" turns into more even)- if you lower too much, the geometry of your control arm can change for the worse- there is only so much you can lower w/o this penalty- I don't know this exact fugure but would guess that 2" is starting to push it.

I'm also not a real big fan of uneven lowering- while some like the looks of lowering the front more than the rear- performance can suffer- your taking an already front weight biased car and further shifting that point forward even more- not ideal IMO.

As far as rates go, the suby tends to do better w/ spring rates that fairly closely match front to rear- by increasing rear spring rates you are effectively dialing out understeer. The top suby autox drivers take this a step further and run rates in the rear that are even higher than the front- I don't reccomend doing this for a daily driver, but reinforces my point.

I think the v7 pink STi springs fit the bill the best w/ the v7 struts- spring rates are relatively close front to rear, the lowering is acceptable (IMO) @ ~ 1", the lowering is equal front/rear and the springs are very linear (more performance over a progressive designed spring). FHI designed these springs specifically w/ your struts in mind and they generally do a very good job in that arena.

Remember I'm just expressing my personal opinions, you need to weigh everything when you make your choice.

If interested in those springs I'd first check private for sale here, i-club and nasioc- you'll see these used occasionally and might as well save some bucks if you can.

New - gruppe-s, rallispec and racecompengineering all sell these springs- they are not widely available as they are a strictly a jdm bit.

I'd also strongly suggest if you have the $, to "spring" (;)) for some Grp N tops at the same time- they are much firmer than the oem ones and will deflect much less- allowing the tire to better stay in contact w/ the road.

Big Sky

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks so much for all the help guys (especially Big Sky). Looks like I'll go with the Ver7 STi pinks. I've always said that lowering the car wasn't my top priority. I just wanted to know if there were any springs that could lower a bit more and not sacrifice handling. However, since the pinks are made specifically for my struts, and they do lower about an inch, I'm definetely going with those. I might do the Group N tops if I can find some extra cash. It would obviously best to do the tops when taking the suspension apart anyway for the springs. Now I just have to find some on sale. Thanks again for all the help.

psycho

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
excuse me just invading your thread ... but is it necassary to get your car alligned after installing lowering springs... so ya know i am just putting some prodrive springs on my 2004

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Big Sky could probably answer this from a technical standpoint, but I'm going to go ahead and give the short and sweet answer of, yes.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
fair enough... ill start lookin for a place to allign my car so i can get everything done right when my springs get here... thanks man

·
Registered
888 Posts
ynotajb said:
excuse me just invading your thread ... but is it necassary to get your car alligned after installing lowering springs... so ya know i am just putting some prodrive springs on my 2004
Even if it wasn't necessary it would be a good idea because a good alignment can really improve the performance of a car. Especially when you consider how cheap it is compared to most suspension upgrades.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wait a few days before you do it so you can give your springs a little time to settle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts