ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get some lowering springs for my 04 and ive been looking at a few and some of them have major differences in spring rates. Ive seen some that have 4.1Kg/mm and some that have 10.2Kg/mm. Im assuming this is going to determine how stiff the springs are correct? But what is too stiff? Does anybody know the spring rates on a stock 2004 wrx? What works for you guys? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Spring rate you can use will depend on what struts you are going to use. Stock struts tend to last around 80k miles, so now maybe a good time to upgrade.

What is your budget? How much drop are you looking for? What do you use the car for (I.e. DDer, autoX, track)?

Answer those questions and we can have some good recommendations for you.

Here is a great chart with spring rates:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=plg1Ea3xR9HfIsfeL_KhwEw&gid=1

Also, please read this thread:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1383366

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
seet thanks. i dont really plan on doing track or autox. but i would like to in the future. but have something thats also streetable.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
seet thanks. i dont really plan on doing track or autox. but i would like to in the future. but have something thats also streetable.
If you plan on doing autox or road racing, I would highly suggest investing in a full coilover setup from companies like Tein. Getting lowering springs alone won't help if your shocks aren't able to support the height you're going down to.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
If you plan on doing autox or road racing, I would highly suggest investing in a full coilover setup from companies like Tein. Getting lowering springs alone won't help if your shocks aren't able to support the height you're going down to.
Tein Coilovers are horrible on the street and unless you are going to get the more expensive model of the Teins the cheaper ones are real crappy. For most Coilovers are overkill. For a DDer that wants a better look with a bit of a performance increase look at:

KYB GR2 Struts
Swift Springs or Epic Springs
Camber Bolts

If want something higher performing for autoX but still good for the street look at:

Tokico Dspecs or Koni Inserts
Group N Top Hats/WL Com Cs
RCE Black/Yellow Springs or Swift Spec R

Coilovers require a lot more maintenance and unless you get on of the more expensive ($1800+) European designed brands such as AST, TIC SSTs, RCE, Ohlins they are just not valved for the street and will very uncomfortable. Also, if you live in an area that sees a lot of snow/salt coilovers have a lot more moving parts that can rust/seize and will need regular maintenance/rebuilds.

Lastly, I HIGHLY recommend you contact Tony or Clint of TIC as they are two of the most knowledgable guys when it comes to suspension and will not recommend something you do not need, even if it means you will have to buy the right product from another vender. They both have helped me out a lot with my suspension modifications.

www.turninconcepts.com

Another great guy to talk to about suspension (particularly if you want coilovers or a track setup) is Myles of RCE.

http://racecompengineering.com/

Edit:

Kronos not a trying to knock you down or anything (I am sure you are a good guy), you are just fairly new to the game and both TIC and RCE have a proven track record and a HUGE presence in the Subaru community and on NASIOC. I just feel recommending Tein Coilovers to someone w/o informing them of their drawbacks is doing a disservice.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
I'm no suspension expert and never claimed to be. I was using Tein as a mark for a company that makes full coilover / shock setups but my point was to look in that direction rather than just getting some lowering springs and calling it a day.

This isn't my first forum and I'm not new to cars. I'm sure Turn In Concepts knows what they're doing but I was just pointing him in a different direction than just getting lowering springs for someone who wants to do auto-x or road racing. He would have a horrible experience in that manner.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts