ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I have decided to upgrade my stock spring set to Prodrive spring kit. I went to the shop my local Subaru dealer, Carter recommended. I asked them how much will cost me for spring installation. He came up with some insanity #, $450 or 6 hrs for the installation. I almost shouted out, "go **** youself.":mad: :eek3: :confused1 :eek:

So here I am I need advise for all of you who have upgraded your spring, not installed by youself, WHO MUCH DID YOU PAY FOR THE INSTALLATION and WHAT ARE THE ACTUAL HRS FOR THE INSTALLATION? Your inputs will be greatly appreciated:) :D

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
that sounds about what most people get quoted at, actual time vs charge time is diff things.

they have generic hrs per repair costs that they go off of.

it usually only takes about 2-3hrs?

man id just look for locals and do it yourself with some help. its super easy. tha

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
damn that's what I have seen so far from the forum. Hmmm, if I have all the tools available, I will definitely install it myself:( Still trying to find out where I can find a cheaper shop for the spring installation. Thanks Gusto

WRXGOooo

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
for less than $100 you can get yourself a set of jackstands an electric impact wrench, and a spring compressor and do it yourself. There's not much to it. Its time consuming, yes, but there's nothing really difficult about it. Best of all, when you're done you have some really cool tools you can use for other mods. That impact wrench will certainly come in handy...and no air compressor required.

·
Registered
888 Posts
WRXGO, since you're local I could probably help you out for the low cost of beer and food. I have an air impact wrench, spring compressors, floor jack, etc...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much for the offer, driggity:D Before I purchase any springs, what did you upgrade your spring? If so, what do you currently have on right now? I am thinking I would go with Prodrive. What do you think? Eibach? or even SPT? I have been calling auto shops....the rate given are pretty consistant...too much for me:(

How can I contact you in person once I get my springs kit, by email?

WRXGOooo

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
ya might want to get some new struts while you're taking everything apart. shorter springs on OE struts will wear them out pretty quick and you'll be doing it again. you can pick up a set of KYB AGX's for about $400 shipped. KYB makes the OE struts and the AGX's set to "1" give you OE dampening.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
blarg

I thought our stock wrx strut fits for the Prodrive spring well? why it would wear out faster? I am dumbie sorry

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
oh sure...it fits. Just about ANY spring will FIT. The problem I think is the higher spring rate. It causes the piston/valve to react faster than it was designed to...I think you also end up underdampened. I'm not sure if the actual height of the spring actually matters. I'm no expert here...this is just what I've been able to piece together from posts I've read from other people.

higher spring rate + OE strut = bad

the AGX struts are constructed much better and can handle the stiffer springs.

·
Hammerdown Mod of Thunder
23,061 Posts
The cheapest quote in my area was $250 at a tuffy muffler shop. Dealer wanted $360 and some repair shop wanted $600 :eek: I got my nephew to help me and did it myself.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I have a set of takeoffs from a v7 STi wagon and some other assorted suspension goodies. Great setup if you don't want to lower the car. You can just send me a PM about the install. I'm going to be busy a good amount in the near future but we may be able to work out a time. If not there are other local people who could probably help you for less money than you'd have to pay most shops. You could also talk to World One Performance as they are now doing installs. I don't know what they'd charge but I'd guess its a pretty good price.

I'm not sure what year car you have but I've always liked the prodrive and eibach springs for the 02/03 cars. They lower a reasonable amount and aren't too stiff. They're also not as hard on the struts as some springs are.

·
Registered
208 Posts
i got quoted 5 hrs at $50/hr ($250)...

i hear a lot of people say they install springs and struts themselves on this forum. i am ready to purchase prodrive springs and kyb agx'es. GUSTO, did you do this mod yourself??? i live 40min outside boston and if i can save myself $250 by doing this mod with a couple of you guys, i just might.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I've done my suspension myself like 5 times... its pretty simple, even the first time. But without air tools or an electric impact gun, you may run into some bolts that do not want to come out.

Actual labor time for me is an hour and a half.

Tools I use: Professional spring compressor ($200), Electric Impact Wrench w/ sockets ($200), Jack + Jackstands ($200), Misc wrench rachet set ($40)

If you have the tools, do it yourself. If not, just pay for it. I don't like to work on cars without the correct tools, it just makes life so much more difficult. In fact, i did this in about 45 min in a shop with a lift and airtools... Half the time it takes in my driveway.

·
Registered
208 Posts
yeah, i am limited on tools right now. all i have is a hydraulic floor jack and a rachet set. if i didnt need this car to get me to and from work, i would have no problem taking it apart myself.

oh yeah, and, sonic yellow rexes unite!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
i just installed some h-tech on my 2002 and it took us about 7-8 hours... it wasnt too hard at all except all we had was a lift and jackstands.. everything else was all hand tools but i was still able to get the work done with 1 other person...

WRXGO: I use to live in bellevue and when i got my springs installed it was 120 but then again it was a honda prelude.. I dunno if they charge different prices for different cars...

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
RumbleBee said:
GUSTO, did you do this mod yourself??? i live 40min outside boston and if i can save myself $250 by doing this mod with a couple of you guys, i just might.
I do my work with a buddy out in NH. Float him a couple bucks and he'll help with anything. good dude always willing to help. contact me if you want to get ahold of him.

hes out of town untill sunday though so next weekend at earliest...hopefully be doing my full brake upgrade then also.

i can do them with ya if you have all the proper space/tools since i dont. otherwise i cant be of much help...this isnt really a handtool job...

BTW im running Tanabe GF210s with the KYB AGXs and love it.

gus

edit: i also rock wifebeaters as shirts. :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
yeah this is really a handtool job but i was still able to get it done with what we had... it was a lot more difficult but it is possible... but yes having the right tools will help A LOT!!!

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Shouldn't take more than 4 hrs tops. I did mine in my driveway in 3 hrs, start to finish. Get a breaker bar for the 19 mm rear strut bolts, they are stubborn.

·
Registered
208 Posts
gusto said:
I do my work with a buddy out in NH. Float him a couple bucks and he'll help with anything. good dude always willing to help. contact me if you want to get ahold of him.

hes out of town untill sunday though so next weekend at earliest...hopefully be doing my full brake upgrade then also.

i can do them with ya if you have all the proper space/tools since i dont. otherwise i cant be of much help...this isnt really a handtool job...

BTW im running Tanabe GF210s with the KYB AGXs and love it.

gus

thanks a lot for the offer. i dont have the "right" tools (hehe) for this job, so i am going to have the shop do it.

gusto said:
edit: i also rock wifebeaters as shirts. :)

when i need help in the future i will give you guys a shout. i will provide beer, food, and sleeves, hahaha, JFWY. thanks again dood

1 - 20 of 21 Posts