Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wasn't sure where to ask this but....in reality, at normal freeway speeds (say 65-90 mph) do spoilers have much of an effect, or do people have them mostly for show?

I have a silver WRX and was thinking about getting a little something to differentiate my car from others in the parking lot. I was looking at everything from the little above-the-rear window sedan spoiler from Erebuni to the larger "normal" ones everyone else seems to have and it got me thinking....do any of them actually do anything outside of competitive speeds?

Any feedback from anyone who has the small rear roof ones?

The unbelievably (to me) expensive Mines trunk one?

How about the larger STi one?

I'm not above a little vanity, but whether the actually do anything may change what I look at and where in my priority list it'll sit (function first, then form!)

Thanks in advance for the input!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Well im sure someone will correct me if im wrong but I have been told that spoilers wont help you enough to notice until your at 135+mph...I think that most of them you see are...fo sho...:D My Bad if im wrong;)

·
Banned
314 Posts
it depends. the stock spoiler generates VERY little downforce, and probably doesn't affect the car until extremely high speeds, but other spoilers such as the much hated aluminum wings and the sti cf spoiler have a much greater effect on the car at much lower speeds.

for example, the evo's wing is very functional and differences in handling are recognizable by the DRIVER at 80 mph.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts