ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy July 4th, so far it has earned me a $63.00 / 4 point speeding ticket. It will be reduced to 2 points if I pay within 20 days though. I just feel stupid: slower car on my left, merging traffic up ahead....so I sped to get ahead of the car on my left, then wham :eek:, there's a cop! Heh.

Let's see, my last and only ticket was also in Colorado (differenct county though) for speeding about 2 years ago and I'll turn 25 on the 18th!
Looking at the ticket, it says the charge is: "speeding, 68mph in posted 55mph zone." Now, I could be wrong, but shouldn't the officer have written how that was attained, i.e., radar/laser or pace? I know it wasn't paced, the officer pegged me going the other direction and u-turned around to get me after I had already slowed down. Also he never said he specifically used radar, although something like that is probably "my word against his" in the court. He never even asked if I knew why he pulled me over or how fast did I think I was going, why was I in a hurry....bleh, just wrote me a ticket!!
I don't know, maybe I'm reaching here, any of you pirates have advice?

As promised, pictures!

g3wrx

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Go to the court house and get a copy of the back of the ticket. See what notes he wrote on there. It should say what he used to clock you with, and other good info. Also did he do everything " by the book". I got a ticket and the cop didn't ask for my insurance card. Come to find out, after I took a deal, that I could have gotten out of the ticket because of that small fact. If your not happy with the 2 points, then go to your court date. My guess is that if you have a clean (5 years) record they will get you some kind of double or nothing deal. Just don't get another ticket with the timeframe if you take that deal. If you have a bad record then the 2 points is about as good as you are going to do.
MCL

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Don't have any advice to give you, but peel off the warning sticker on your roof rail and the black wagon would look even better.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice about going to look at the ticket itself, hadn't thought of that! I'll definately start with that. Yes, the officer did ask for license, insurance and registration.

About the sticker....it's amazing what little things will simply jump out at you in a picture and look too obvious....case in point: that roof rail sticker. I had never paid much attention to it before, but now that you pointed it out in the picture, it's gotta go!
Stock headlights, the front wheel gap, and non-painted sideskirts are a few others that stand out. At least I've got the headlights taken care of!

Any other pirates with some good pointers....concerning the ticket or car? Haha. :D
By the way, I have the full turbo-back and up-pipe from Helix on route to me right now!

g3wrx

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to update, I went to the court clerk and got a copy of the ticket....there's nothing about how the officer acquired my speed, nothing about radar or paced or anything. So maybe I've got a way out of it, since from what I hear (could be wrong of course), if the officer doesn't mark down how the speed was acquired, then that might make the ticket invalid.
The court clerk couldn't advise me on anything, she said I should call the prosecuting attorney, *shrugs*, so that's my next step, even though it seems silly to me to be asking the prosecuting attorney for advice, lol. :p

g3wrx

·
Registered
406 Posts
I got snagged going 98 in a 55 about a year and a half ago. It was a Jefferson County Sheriff in a Green Unmarked Chevy Tahoe. He also walked up to my window and took my information went back to his truck, sat there for around 10 minutes, and then came back and handed me my ticket. and asked me to sign it. My ticket also didn't say how he obtained my speed. I hired an attourney for this one "Didn't want to loose my license again" and I fought the ticket. Long story short, I went to court, the judge asked the officer how he obtained my speed and he told him that he paced me from about 1000' back. He may as well could have been trying to look at my spedometer with binoculars.
The Judge ruled that I was speeding and droped my ticket from a 12 point speeding to a 6 point speeding for the inaccuracy of the pace, and then the DA agreed to give me a 3 point red light violation. and an Aggressive driving class.

All in all .. I fought the Law and the Law Won.

-John

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Final update: I called the prosecuting attorney. She said the fact that the officer didn't write down how he attained my speed didn't matter.
So I asked if she'd do a plea bargain now instead of waiting for my court date (late August). Long story short, I had to pay a little heavier fine than the original one along with court fees and such, but it's going to be reduced to 0 points, therefore it won't go on my record and my insurance company won't know about it!!!
:wiggles: :wiggles: :wiggles:

Thanks all.

g3wrx

1 - 12 of 12 Posts