ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night i was driving on highway 85 really late at night and was going 76 and got pulled over for a traffic violation because apparently the speed limit was 55 instead of 65 like the sign said. But anyways, anyone know if it is likely that they will knock down that 6 point ticket? The only other ticket i got was half a year ago that was 4 points for speeding 17 mph over which got knocked down to a 1 point ticket.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I got my 6 pt ticket from last spring knocked down to a 1 pt. I did have to go to a 2 day class for aggressive drivers. That was quite an interesting class with even more interesting people. Some of the people were downright scary. Hahaha.

Just go to court and talk to the city DA.

·
Registered
433 Posts
most likely the DA will knock it down to 4pts, i was going 65 in a 40 once and got my ticket reduced to 4pts, my mvr isn't good from a couple yrs back, and that speeding ticket i got a couple months ago was my first one in a bout a yr

·
Registered
880 Posts
If you want to hire a lawyer... I have one... Very excellent...

-Well See Ya Later-
:wiggles:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've noticed that some areas are worse about deals than others. I remember getting a ticket in Fort Collins about 2 years ago, it was my first ticket ever and I had been driving for 7 years, and IMO the deal I got wasn't that great. I asked why, and the DA said that at that time they were trying to really crack down on speeders, so they weren't offering good deals, even if that person had a perfect driving record, like I had.

Now 2 years later, in Eagle County, CO, I get a speeding ticket for 4 points (there's a thread on this board about it maybe 5 days ago). I had the option to pay it within 2 weeks and it would have been reduced to 2 points, or I could wait till my August court date and hope for a better deal. Well I didn't want to chance receiving a heavier penalty than 2 points, so I called the prosecuting attorney that would be assigned to my case a few days after I got my ticket (the court clerk told me who the prosecuting attorney was going to be). I asked for an early plea bargain, she started right off offering a reduction to 1 point, I thanked her for the offer, and asked (very nicely) if 0 points was possible. I made it clear that paying the fine wasn't an issue for me, I really didn't want any points penalized. She then agreed, 0 points, but she nearly doubled the amount of the original fine.

So if you don't want to wait till your court date, maybe try what I did, it definately worked out for me.

Good luck! :D

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
g3wrx said:
I've noticed that some areas are worse about deals than others. I remember getting a ticket in Fort Collins about 2 years ago, it was my first ticket ever and I had been driving for 7 years, and IMO the deal I got wasn't that great. I asked why, and the DA said that at that time they were trying to really crack down on speeders, so they weren't offering good deals, even if that person had a perfect driving record, like I had.

Now 2 years later, in Eagle County, CO, I get a speeding ticket for 4 points (there's a thread on this board about it maybe 5 days ago). I had the option to pay it within 2 weeks and it would have been reduced to 2 points, or I could wait till my August court date and hope for a better deal. Well I didn't want to chance receiving a heavier penalty than 2 points, so I called the prosecuting attorney that would be assigned to my case a few days after I got my ticket (the court clerk told me who the prosecuting attorney was going to be). I asked for an early plea bargain, she started right off offering a reduction to 1 point, I thanked her for the offer, and asked (very nicely) if 0 points was possible. I made it clear that paying the fine wasn't an issue for me, I really didn't want any points penalized. She then agreed, 0 points, but she nearly doubled the amount of the original fine.

So if you don't want to wait till your court date, maybe try what I did, it definately worked out for me.

Good luck! :D
So how exactly do i go about this? Contact the court to find out the prosecuting attorney and then talk to them directly?

·
Registered
23 Posts
DjChopstix: Yea, I wanted to see a better copy of my ticket, so I went to the court clerk and she just gave me the prosecuting attorney's information for any questions/advice that I had.
Good luck. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
What's this about paying more to get points reduced? Sounds very illegal to be able to make a bigger payoff to reduce points. Smells of bribery. Just because you're rich, you can get off, while some poor smuck is left with a big penalty. Kind of like how they want to let rich folk buy their way into HOV lanes. Eagle Co. sounds very lenient - that bassetball rapist's judge got off light for speeding like 90 in a 55. I'm surprised they don't stick it to tourists because they know there's little chance you'll take off 1/2 day or more and spend gas to drive all the way up there just to fight it in court.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I got a ticket on 119 between longmont and boulder doing 74 in a 55 and it was a 60 dollar ticket with 4 pts but only two if you mailed it in before 20 days

·
Registered
553 Posts
The only redeeming part about wyoming... I just got a ticket for doing 100 in a 55 last week. It's $137 and 0 points because wyoming doesn't communicate with CO (my insurance company will never hear about it either) :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea, i was told by a state patrol that points to not transfer between states, all u have to do is pay the fine for that ticket and you are alright.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Anyone know which states have resiprocity with Colorado? That is: they share records and points transfer? Any? I was surprised to find out Wyoming doesn't as that's basically the closest state to the population area.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts