ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I posted this over at NASIOC and I-Club as well. I'm just gauging interest to see if anyone would be interested in having a surfing meet. I'm relatively new to the whole sport (<1year), but I love it and would have a blast hanging out with some other SoCal surfers. At this point I'm just testing waters to see how many people (if any) are interested in this, and perhaps start getting ideas where to have it. I'd like to have it in a somewhat central location so we can cover a larger area.

So, if you're interested and/or have some ideas where we could have it, please post or PM or whatever. I'm hoping I get some interest in this.

Later,
Justin

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump!

No one's interested in getting together to talk Subarus and do some surfing at the same time? This isn't in the near future, I'm only gauging interest. It'll probably be sometime during the summer.

PS - Spongers are welcome.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
What's a sponger?

I would probably be interested if I had a surfboard or I knew how to surf well. I've only been twice.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MasiveMunkey said:
What's a sponger?

I would probably be interested if I had a surfboard or I knew how to surf well. I've only been twice.
A sponger is someone who boogie-boards. Well, at least that's what I've heard them called (by their own kind).

No worries about not having a board or knowing how. I know some people have multiple boards and would probably be able to loan them out. And I'm sure someone will be willing to teach/help you surf, we're a friendly bunch. Just don't ask me...I suck! :wiggles:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Good afternoon. I work in Woodland Hills and live in Culver City. I work until about 3:45 pm. If you are interested in meeting up to hit the surf, once they really open up Topanga, I'll surf with you during the week. Just let me know when you would want to go. I have been surfing off and on for about 20 years, but I do not take it that seriously. More of a Zen thing than a go out and slash thing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
ill go

Ill go but ill have to take my sponge cause my 9 ft surfboard is bigger then my car, and i dont have my truck anymore. Hope my wetsuit still fits lol

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Monku Monku - Sweet, sounds like a good idea. I usually work 9-6 during the week, but maybe I can take off early sometime (I've earned it). Weekends any good for you? I know what you mean about the zen thing. Even though I've only been doing this for less than a year, I find it more as a way to relax and enjoy nature than a sport. Sometimes I sit and just enjoy more than I actually (try to) surf.

redrex007 - No worries about the sponger. I don't care how you enjoy the ocean, as long you're there to have a good time. Surf, boogieboard, snorkel, wakeboard, etc...I don't care. I used to rent a 9'-0" longboard a lot before I bought a board, and I would carry that on my sedan with one of those soft racks. They don't cost a lot and should do the job, as long as you don't go over 60mph! :tongue:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Vikingmoose- Weekends I usually need to check with the wife to see if she has us booked for any thing, or see how long the "honey do" list is. Should be ok in the mornings. I know for sure I cannot for the next couple of weekends, but once the calendar clears up and my back is back to normal, I'm all good.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WhatTheHulk said:
I'am down. I just have to fix my "long board"... broken fin.
I figured you were down. Since when did you have a longboard? Oh, and fins are pretty cheap.

Monku Monku - The "honey do" list...funny! Sometimes I'm glad I'm single. I'll see if I can take off from work early one day and we can go somewhere nearby. But, we still have the whole spring and summer ahead of us, so there'll be no shortage of surfing.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Damn, I'll be at CA Speedway all weekend. Otherwise I'd totally be down for a surf meet.

·
Registered
38 Posts
There is supposed to be a swell coming through this weekend. Anyone interested? I am going out Saturday morning at 7 am at Bay Street again. I will probably go Sunday morning also. Same time.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If I can wake up I'll go. How big is it supposed to be? I haven't surfed in months and can barely surf in 4ft waves...even with my 9' longboard! :rolleyes:

(Yes, I suck at surfing.)

·
Registered
38 Posts
The surf report does not say how big the swell is going to be, just that one is coming in. Last weekend, the biggest sets were only about chest high, but that beats ankle or knee high.

If you make it on Saturday, just look for the WRB 02 wagon with Yakama racks in the parking lot. My buddy and I will probably be north of the lifeguard tower at the end of Bay St. (I do not remember the number of the tower, just look for the run off outlet in the sand and we will probably be infront of it) The water is cooling down a bit, so a full suit would help. I have a Bodyglove full suit with blue arms and will be on either a short board, or a long board with a red deck. My buddy is a bald Filipino with a white RAW long board.

Hope to see you there.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
(Obviously depending on how big the swell is, but...) I have both a 7'-6" funboard and a 9'-0" longboard. I imagine that either one would be fine? Is Bay St a beach break, or point, or ____? Trying to ride a longboard at a beach break like Zuma is tough, unless you want to ride the whitewater only. But then again...I suck.

I'm not familiar with Bay St. What's the best way to get there, and where to park, etc? (I'll be coming from Ventura County) I've never surfed there before so I am a bit curious to try a new spot. I usually go to Topanga Point.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts