Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently, I have been running a BMW Z3 Coupe in SCCA Solo2. But its time to switch, so am looking to get a WRX. Can anyone suggest what to get on the car when I buy it new, so its part of the loan? I am getting conflicting stories about what is, and is not allowed for STOCK class. In the WRX accessory catalog from Subaru, they have the suspension, 17" wheels, and short shift kit shown. And I could even pick up a car with the shift kit installed at the factory. But now others are telling me that I can NOT use the 17" wheels, the factory suspension upgrade (STi), or the short shift kit. I thought if they were FACTORY installed, or FACTORY options, that they ARE allowed???

Then, what tires would be good (and LAST - my BFG KD's don't stay long on earth, and cost $$$$$) for street tire class, TW of 140+, the Azenis, the Kumho 711 or 712, or whatever???

Also, what are the specs for the new STX class?

Thanks
Rocky

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm not sure about the suspension upgrade or short shift kit, but if it is an option FROM THE FACTORY it should be legal in the stock class. I bought my WRX back in Aug and this was not an option for me at that time. You are correct about the 17" wheels, they will put you out of stock class. I guess this is not considered a factory option since the dealer actually installs them. If you have to finance the new rims my recommendation is to go with either the optional 17" rims form the dealer or the sky-high BBS rims form the factory, then put race rubber on the stock rims. If nothing else, just put a set of descent 16" tires on the stock rims until you save enough cash to get the rims you want. I may still do this myself since I may not be able to afford the rims and two sets of tires before the next autocross season starts. I had a set of 225/50/16's in the garage from my old Supra so I installed them. I got $150 out of the stock RE92's.:) As far as tire selection that all depends on your budget and how they will be used, street/track or track only. Since money is a factor for me, I plan on going with Kumo's. ESCTA Supra if pulling duty for both street and track, or the VictoRacing for track use only. You can get a better tire, but not for the money. If price is not an option I would Go with the Bridgestone Potenza S03's for Street/track use and Hoosier's for track only duty.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In our local region, we have a STREET TIRE stock class as well. Anything TW of 140+ is allowed. Currently, I did quite well in my Z3 Coupe with the BFG KD's, but at near $300 a tire, they sure don't last long!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looking further, I'd have to say I am interested in either the Falken Azenis RS, or the Kumho 711 (NOT the 712). The Az is a TW of 200, certain 711's are TW of 260 - and all around the $100 or less price. Which would you suggest, and what size? I am thinking of the 205/50/16 ones.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its starting to look like I'd be better off trying to set it up for the new STX class. Would have more options avilable to me then.

And the short shifter is now reported to be installed at the PORT, so is now legal on those cars. In the other WRX forum, one guy is asking SCCA for a ruling to see if the complete package (SS, turbo gauge, and Titanium shift nob) were installed on the older cars, would it be legal.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm not really answering your question here, but I run Yoko AVS-intermediates on the street and at the autocross. TW is 160, so they would fit into the street tire class. At ~70 a piece for 205/55/16's, it was a bargain until I can upgrade to 17's, and they are really sticky.

I think coilovers are legal in STS, I remember someone on i-club saying thanks to DMS for helping him win STS in a 2.5 RS. I'm not sure if he had to weld the perches or anything though. I just remember seeing the topic. IMO, SCCA's website should contain a better breakdown of the rules for those of us that don't always have a rulebook in our back pocket.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts