Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my first car was an s13 240sx from 91'. This 17 WRX is going to be my 2nd car and it's going to (obviously) be a HUGE jump in technology, performance, and just about everything else. Needless to say, I'm extremely excited. Was my dream car at 15, getting to own a brand new one at 21.

So my question was that a lot of people seem to think the WRX is a slow car... Considering I come from a KA with 240k+ miles on it, I don't think the power will be much of a problem. What I AM sort of afraid is that it won't plant me into my seat as I would've wanted. I have heard a lot about Cobb's Big SF intake + 93 tune. So my question would be will the stock WRX without any tunes or mods be able to glue me to my seat? If not, will the tune + intake do the trick? I've been in a few of my friends' fast cars like an enthusiast 350z running about 350whp, a Chrysler 200 limited, and a 5l v8 mustang which could both really glue my head. It's an addicting sensation and I want to be able to experience it every once in a while.

·
For External Use Only
2,488 Posts
No. A WRX with a ton of mods isn't going to glue you to the seat, until you get into the really expensive ones. They're not fast cars. Anything can feel fast, though, I guess, which is why your comparison of a Chrysler 200 which is another econobox felt fast enough for you to compare it to a 5.0L V8.

If you're 21, unless you've got a trust fund or a great paying job with a good nest egg, I'd recommend worrying about learning to drive the car in stock form, see what you like or hate about it, and go from there.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Super Moderator
11,451 Posts
The 200 with the pentastar will go like you wouldn't believe for what it is. They put out roughly 280chp and 260ftlbs. If it didn't have traction control you could fry the tires off of those things.

What's your opinion of stuck to the seat? My BMW was as fast as my WRX but considering it was twice the size it had that stuck to the seat feel.

The only time I've lost the hundred dollar challenge was a Chevelle drag car. I physically could not grab the bill off the dash.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I never thought of it that way. The 200 definitely didnt feel like a grandma car to me. I guess everyone does have their own opinion of being glued to the seat. For me its something like being thrown back when you really step on it. Welp, Im going to be getting one on Sat so I guess I'll report back with my experience in the car!

·
I Drink & I Know Things
1,915 Posts
You're also comparing linear power bands from naturally aspirated engines to a very small displacement high-strung turbo motor. They ARE going to feel different. I had a G37 coupe until about a year ago w/ the wonderful VQ37 and it DID throw me back in the seat off the line. My WRX feels just plain slow compared to it. You get used to it and learn how to drive it and apply the power where you need it. There is throttle modulation involved with these motors. At least in my experience.

·
Super Moderator
11,451 Posts
Basically that. The pentastar engine in the 200 puts about about 250ftbs at 1800-6k no WRX I know of does.

·
For External Use Only
2,488 Posts
The basic seat of the pants feeling your talking about could definitely be felt in the older WRX engines, and current STi engine. The EJ Series really opens up while it's in vacuum, giving plenty of instant Tq, especially in the mid RPM Range.

The FA 20 is a very smooth driving car, they are quick, but they never really feel fast.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Noone here wants to hear me say it again but it's slow. At some point you'll come to the realization that you just dropped 30k on a herky jerky econobox that doesn't possess the single quality that you bought it for. .. That sensation of being thrown in your seat. Fml

·
Super Moderator
11,451 Posts
That's your fault for not researching. We all know that. The car is good for what it is. A quick daily driver that can be fun for a track day now and again or hitting some autox with friends.

·
Registered
556 Posts
That's your fault for not researching. We all know that. The car is good for what it is. A quick daily driver that can be fun for a track day now and again or hitting some autox with friends.

. . . and drive year-round no matter what the weather is like outside.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I test drove a v6 AWD 200... It was slower then the WRX I ended up with.

Both cars were much slower then my mustang.. as in not even in the same league slower. My Cobra used to throw me against the seat. However I was also 14 years younger.... and stupid.

The WRX is going to likely be better in the snow.. however I bet the 200 loaded v6 will last about a decade.. the WRX will likely end up needing a new engine if what I am reading is right.

oh well.. but no.. the 200 is not faster then the wrx.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts