ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as the topic says, it's something that you all may have experienced... unfortunately. :(

A Couple hours ago, I washed my car and was just dying to give it a little "joy ride." I was on a deserted road (no one ever drives on this road) and hit it. Next thing you know... i see lights, and I didnt take too much notice of it. I turned into another road and heard an all too familiar... siren.. :( ..

Well, he got me without any identification, etc.. I had registration and Insurance in the glove compartment so that was the only paper work i was missing. I told him i was going 60, and he got me at 62... But the thing is... after hearing the siren i freaked out and stopped but swerved a little and hit a curb. He said that i was trying to "evade" him.

He knew i was "racing" and told me that he could impound my car, arrest me, get me for wreckless driving, and speeding. However, after i cooperated him and stuff... All he gave me was a speeding ticket for "Over 65 in a 40".

Is there any way possible that i could erase this or get it dismissed? I attended traffic school about 5 months ago for the dumbest reason evAr and i am wondering if i could plea with the judge to let him have pity and let me take it again... Any suggestions of what i could do? :(

·
Registered
16,991 Posts
Well the ticket sounds like it's BS if you were doing 62mph (per the cop). Just that could get it thrown out perhaps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He told me I was going 62. On the ticket he wrote 70 and all that other stuff i mentioned... But in the end he only gave me a speeding ticket of "Over 65 in a 40..." So i am very thankful of that... But im wondering if I could be able to get this dismissed? =(

·
Registered
16,991 Posts
What I'm saying is that it doesn't matter what he could have cited you for, he only DID cite you for "over 65..." but you were only going 62mph. So basically he has no evidence to support the reason for the ticket. That sounds dismissable to me.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You certainly don't want to just pay the fine as that's ipso facto "guilty" and thus goes on your record - and your insurance.

At the arraignment, you can either plead "not guilty", in which case a future date is set (could be a week, maybe more) wherein you'll plead your case to the judge and provide any available evidence you have to bolster your case. However, the citing officer may also show up to provide his testimony. He may bring his official report, or it may already be at the court on that date. In some states, if the officer is a no-show, you're found "not guilty". That's the case for California, but not for Ohio.

Another roll of the dice is to plead "no contest" at the arraignment. The judge will look at the available evidence and make his decision right there.

A few months ago, I plead "no contest", and was found "not guilty" because the judge didn't have the officer's report. Had I plead "guilty", I'm sure the officer and the report would have inevitably found me guilty as charged.

BTW, IMO, *never* admit to going faster than the posted speed limit. It goes right into the report as a de facto admission of guilt.

Bill M.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sadly to say, I'm pretty sure he would show up. Not to be stereotypical but he looked like your average "Super Cop" that did everything correctly. =T:(

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
LazyWRX said:
Sadly to say, I'm pretty sure he would show up. Not to be stereotypical but he looked like your average "Super Cop" that did everything correctly. =T:(
what city/state??

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
If you fight it just remember to be respectful. Honestly, from what you said, it doesn't sound like he got an accurate speed. First 70 then 62 then 65? :confused:

Oh, and read my sig - have fun but drive safe!

-snowcat

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Definitely get a lawyer...may cost you a lot more then you initially expected but can *usually* either get the ticket excused or at least pled down, which as shotgun said brings down cost in the long run (ie fines, insurance increase, etc)

·
Registered
27,068 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
DTR rex said:
w3rd! I have friends with wealthy parents and good lawyers that get out of EVERY ticket....

the only problem I see is that you have no proof that you were only going 62. its your word, vs the cops..
No flaming please because I'm really unsure as to whether this is true or not...

but I've heard that they have to record two 'clocks' on you... to 'prove' you were doing the speeds you were and that they have to record those times in their logs when they write the ticket... is that true??

1 - 19 of 19 Posts