ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i recently traded my car for a wrx..and a previous wrx owner told me that its missing a box or something...so i was wondering if anyone knew if this was true and if it is wat is it for? and is it important to have?please help, thanks....will post pics..

IMG_20120520_182013.jpg IMG_20120520_182018.jpg

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
I do believe you are missing your windshield washer fluid resevoir.

·
Æternum
20,864 Posts
I do believe you are missing your windshield washer fluid resevoir.
Yes. Yes it is.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
And the cover for the fuse/relay box.

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
passenger side intercooler bracket, boost solenoid and cover
That's a big one, good catch. I'm sure it has an MBC or some other type of controller. That car has definitely been messed with, I just hope it's been tuned.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
passenger side intercooler bracket, boost solenoid and cover
Yeah, the boost solenoid jumped out to me as well. Good one.

Looks like it also has an oil catch can of some sort judging from what looks like a DIY line across the intercooler. The engine appears nicely detailed. Why would one remove the headlight washer reservoir? I could see maybe for routing front mount tubing, but this still has a TMIC. :confused:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
damn..it sounds like i missing some stuff..let me just say that this car does have a rebuild engine with 6k miles..it was professionally done in a auto shop and i did get the paperwork to prove it...so with that being said...can someone please summarize what all do i have to do with the missing parts...replace or just leave it like that?dont really know about these engines?

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
Well, without knowing every last thing that has been done to it, we can't really recommend a good course of action. If you care about having winshield wash fluid (I know I do) I'd look into why that was removed or if the system even works anymore.

The boost control solenoid has probably been replaced with an MBC, which in my opinion is an extremly lazy way of doing things, but if the car has been tuned to utilize it, it isn't a big problem. What does concern me, though, is that the engine had to be replaced in the first place. If the engine blew because somebody improperly modded the car and then drove the ever loving . Potty Mouth .. Potty Mouth .. Potty Mouth .. Potty Mouth . out of it, you will have some work ahead of you.

Do you have a list of what all has been done to the car? Any way of contacting the previous owner?

edit: This stupid swear filter needs to go.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
One more thing I just saw: I think the cruise control servo and cable are missing. Was the car equipped with that (i.e., does it have the little cruise control stalk on the steering wheel)?

I would have a Subaru tuner look it over if you can. If the previous owner is unreachable, a tuner would be more familiar with aftermarket parts like a manual boost controller (MBC) than a regular auto shop. Also, a tuner would be able to do some data logs and get a better idea of the engine health and whether or not the engine is tuned for the aftermarket air intake or a possible MBC. There are plenty of people here who could also help you with that if you have some way to pull logs yourself (like a Tactrix cable or Cobb Accessport).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh ok ill go get the windshield fluid checked out.....and damn..hopefully i doesnt mess up...but the upgrades..that i was told it had,,was a bigger turbo, 20g....stage 2 clutch..3" exhaust, and i believe he also said that it was tuned and it made 292 hp at 11psi..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
it has a cruise control next to the fog lights button...havent actually tried and use it though, and i might actually have to take it to an auto shop so they can check it

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
I'm with Rambo on this one. Take it to a reputable Subaru tuner to have it looked at. It sounds like things were done very half-butted (stupid swear filter) and there will be some things that need to be addressed. If there is a 20g on that car running at 11psi, something is very wrong somewhere. It could be that you've been told the wrong turbo model, it could be that somebody really didn't understand how to modify a Subaru properly, it could be a good deal many other things, but one thing is for sure, it needs to be looked at by a professional.

Sorry man, I hope you didn't just buy a headache.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
The cruise control has been removed, neither the cable nor the motor for it are there. Looks like a lot of missing parts, but hopefully nothing crucial. For what it's worth, my car has no windshield washer or cruise control and I rarely miss them.

I would be very weary of that car though. Since the previous engine blew, then they're selling it 6,000 miles after replacing the engine, either they just realized that a modded car like that isn't reliable, or they had an idea that the same thing was going to happen to the new engine and wanted to get rid of it before it blew again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well damn..u guys are starting to scare me haha,,,i havent heard any bad news like this from no one..but i will take that into consideration..should i take it to a subaru dealer? or to just any shop?..and would they be able to know if the engine will blow up again like u say?

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
oh ok ill go get the windshield fluid checked out.....and damn..hopefully i doesnt mess up...but the upgrades..that i was told it had,,was a bigger turbo, 20g....stage 2 clutch..3" exhaust, and i believe he also said that it was tuned and it made 292 hp at 11psi..
I believe you about the parts listed, but the previous owner took a very...unconventional... mod path. I have never seen any aftermarket turbo setup leave the stock intercooler installed, let alone a 20G. As Anub1s stated, that turbo at that low of boost isn't good. The other things like the exhaust comprise what's generally agreed upon in the Subaru community as a "Stage II" setup. That is, an aftermarket downpipe, catback exhaust, and a tune.

That turbo is my biggest concern. That's a big turbo for the 2.0L engine period, let alone one using stock parts. You need larger injectors, a larger fuel pump, larger intercooler, and a good tuner to effectively utilize that setup.

Either way, you've got some detective work ahead of you, and we're here for ya as much as we can help. Take as many pictures as you can get of that turbo and the tubes connected to it. That will help us identify it for sure, and see what sort of boost control it has. From your username, I'm going to take a wild guess and say you're from Chicago. :)

Anyone on here know any good Subaru tuning shops in Georgia?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
oh ok i will take some pictures tomorw..but the turbo is a TD06-20G....and nah i was born there but im in ga..the car came from tenessee thoug..and the rebuild was done at EDGE automotive perfomance and repair

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
..should i take it to a subaru dealer? or to just any shop?..and would they be able to know if the engine will blow up again like u say?

Most dealerships and most regular mechanic shops aren't going to know squat about modified cars and proper tuning on Subarus. You need to take the car to a reputable Subaru specific performance shop/tuner.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts