Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mad:
The perils of having to street park! I went out this afternoon to go out to Englishtown and check out the SCCA autocross, since I've only been to NASA-run ones. And the left rear window was totally smashed out. The theif went through my armrest console and nothing was taken, since I never keep anything valuable in the car anyway. The idiot even missed the change drawer. Now the car's in the shop till Monday. :(

My insurance deductible is so high ($1,000) I have to pay out of my own pocket. This is the fourth time it's happened to me on my block. Previously, it was with my Maxima. Hubcaps stolen in the first week i had that car; rear window smashed out to steal the change and a very nice pair of prescription sunglassesl; and the last straw was walking the dog one morning to find the front passenger door gone!:eek:

A car in NYC is a precarious thing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If I didn't love cars so much, I'd want to live in NYC...

Well, I suppose this is what happens when the bad guys know that no law-abiding people are gonna shoot at them. :p

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Truly, this is bad news.

Daughter just totaled my Celica, so I feel your pain of loss.

Keep the faith.

misterx

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Where I am there is no serious damage done to cars, but if you have aftermarket wheels, your nice little stainless valve caps will be gone in seconds and any badging that is on your car you can kiss it goodbye. Not serius damage by any means but it just goes to show how desperate people are...

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Up here in Queens, I HAVE to park my car in a guarded lot. However, I don't do it because there's a chance that someone will break into it. I do it because of all the little hoodlums in my neighborhood who love to use people's hoods as benches and sometimes more. It's appalling how many peoples' cars have PABLO <3's ESPERANZA scratched in the paint. F'ing idiots. :mad:

·
980 Posts
bedabi said:
:mad:
The perils of having to street park! I went out this afternoon to go out to Englishtown and check out the SCCA autocross, since I've only been to NASA-run ones. And the left rear window was totally smashed out. The theif went through my armrest console and nothing was taken, since I never keep anything valuable in the car anyway. The idiot even missed the change drawer. Now the car's in the shop till Monday. :(

My insurance deductible is so high ($1,000) I have to pay out of my own pocket. This is the fourth time it's happened to me on my block. Previously, it was with my Maxima. Hubcaps stolen in the first week i had that car; rear window smashed out to steal the change and a very nice pair of prescription sunglassesl; and the last straw was walking the dog one morning to find the front passenger door gone!:eek:

A car in NYC is a precarious thing.
dude, i am so sorry to hear that. I am always afraid that will happen to me since I am parked out in the open as well. If its all fixed and everything, why dont you come to E-town this saturday: OCT 26th. There is another auto-x and ill be there. If you decide to come, let me know OR just show up and look for the only blue WRX with a bike rack on it :D

-c

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
Ahh Bedabi..bah, that sucks.

Regarding previous experiences....front passenger door was taken? What does someone do with something like that? :mad:

In any event, I'm real sorry to hear that...what about what someone else does? Guarded parking lot? I'd guess that would cost a good pile of change.

Like it was said before...keep the faith!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Trailboss516 said:
what about what someone else does? Guarded parking lot? I'd guess that would cost a good pile of change.
Fenced in lot, attended about 20 hours a day in Sunnyside, Queens (not as pleasant as the name makes it seem) is only $160 a month.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Trailboss516 said:
Guarded parking lot? I'd guess that would cost a good pile of change.
I actually did keep it in a guarded lot, like Bask suggested, but then I needed to drive wifey to work every morning AND pay parking fees, so I stopped that. The lot cost $140/month. While street parking, I have to drive the car in 4x a week because of 4 days of alternate side street cleaning (a/k/a filling the city's coffers). It cost me $8 to park of the day in downtown Brooklyn. It comes out to about $128/month. Then you have to factor in $3 a day in fares for the subway if I don't drive to work. It goes on and on.....:(

Bask, I know exactly what you mean. Recently, a gang of kids were running on the top of parked cars on my street!!! :mad: Rapscallions! And then there's the endless damage to our bumpers from unskilled parallel parkers....

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Re: Someone Broke into My WRX!

fengshui said:
If its all fixed and everything, why dont you come to E-town this saturday: OCT 26th. There is another auto-x and ill be there. If you decide to come, let me know OR just show up and look for the only blue WRX with a bike rack on it :D
Decisions, decision..... There's a NASA event that day as well, but NASA is strictly limiting the number of participants that day. Unfortunately, I'm not preregistered for that event. So the likelihood of getting in is pretty slim. And I owe someone money who will be there.

So maybe I will show up at Englishtown if I can convince my friend to go there. Otherwise, I'll see him at the 11/9 NASA autocross or at Lime Rock.

So Chris, how many runs did you get? I read on I-club that you did pretty well for your first time. Till recently. I used to be in last place among Subies! There are always at least 10-12 at NASA events. And we're guaranteed 8 runs.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Criminals suck

Damn, bedabi, sorry to hear that. I couldn't deal with that crap at all. I think I'd snap on somebody.

There was a story here recently (New Orleans) in the news. This dude was up at ~4AM and heard someone in his parking lot (at his apartment). He looked out of his second floor window, with his 9mm, and saw two thugs approaching his car. He saw them just leave another car, so he knew what's up. Well, he dropped one of them from 40 yards. One shot, problem gone.

Of course, he's now in jail, awaiting his own fate. I'm sure he felt better in the moment, but in hindsight it was a huge mistake.

Peace,

Curtis

PS: [Disclaimer open] By relating this story, I am in no way condoning the actions of the involved person, only highlighting how impassioned people can be about thier cars. [Disclaimer closed.]

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The funny thing is, I put away criminals for a living. But I am not immune!

As for the guy shooting the car thief... Well, someone who values his car more than another human life will be judged in court. That's what juries are for. They'll decide if it was acceptable. I wonder how a ClubWRX jury would vote? I have a feeling the shooter would walk! ;) (joke)

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
bedabi said:
I have a feeling the shooter would walk! ;) (joke)
Not if you had anything to say about it ;)

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good seeing you again, Andy! When are you going to wake up early enough to actually PARTICIPATE in one of those autocrosses? Put some of that good stuff in your car to use? ;)

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Criminals suck

TurbeauxREX said:
There was a story here recently (New Orleans) in the news. This dude was up at ~4AM and heard someone in his parking lot (at his apartment). He looked out of his second floor window, with his 9mm, and saw two thugs approaching his car. He saw them just leave another car, so he knew what's up. Well, he dropped one of them from 40 yards. One shot, problem gone.
I heard a similar story a couple of days ago. A co-worker told me that a neighbor of his kept getting his car screwed with, and suspected a homless guy. So his neighbor waited for the homeless man with a shotgun. The homelss guy broke into the car yet again, and the neighbor basically shot a leg off.

The neighbor did about 4 years in jail. He told my co-worker: "Yeah, but even in jail, I knew, that guy is missing one leg." In other words, the neighbor thought it was worth it.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
That sux, b. You need a sign that says, "There is nothing valuable in this vehicle." I've actually seen them. NJSubietech has the most amazing alarm on the planet. You should talk to him about security. Good thing you didn't leave your Rolex in the armrest! ;)

-Jim

1 - 20 of 20 Posts