ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Been out of the loop for a while. Im in Garmisch, Germany, doing some foriegn language refresher. Kind of a boondoggle, truth be told:D .
Anyway...I hadnt been to Europe in a while and had forgotten the sheer volume of cool cars. AMG, BMW M-machines, Audi S3's, even an RS3. I walk right by a porche dealer everyday. Enough to bring a tear to your eye.
Alfa is making some really cool looking cars as well that we dont see stateside. Guess its sorta like going to Japan; the car companies (foriegn and domestic) are saying : "well, youll have this, and like it!" Kinda depressing.\
But...I can always seem to improve my mood at the Irish Pub :D
Hope things are going well for all, and will be back next week. Not that I ever seem to have time to actually MEET anybody:(

Take care
Ray

·
Registered
553 Posts
Blame the EPA.

Their CAFE standards and other similar regulations totally kill any ability for manufacturers to make cool cars these days.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MtnManWRX said:
Hey, long time no hear. Enjoy your stay and have one for all of us...:D
Thanks...and Im doing my best to enjoy...and, yes, Im quite sure i have had one...quite possibly 3 or 4..for EVERYbody here:D . Germany is a good place to get re-acquainted with one's own inner alcoholic.

-Ray

·
Registered
553 Posts
The reason we have so many crappy cars here is because of an artificial supply/demand. The average public would probably love to be driving much niftier cars... however concern #1 in the publics eye is usually price. Manufacturers simply aren't allowed to sell a mix of cars that will cause their yearly sales to exceed CAFE. This causes them to artificially inflate/deflate their price on certain models. A good example is how GM is selling things like the cavalier at a total loss so more people will buy them to offset the very profitable SUV sales.

·
Registered
707 Posts
rayray - good to hear from you, we haven't noticed you lurking in a while. :)

Their CAFE standards and other similar regulations totally kill any ability for manufacturers to make cool cars these days.
I don't think the blame lies solely on the regs. Take a look around and see what the average american consumer is driving. Manufacturers will tailor their products to maximize profitability given consumer tastes. In short, the demand for the "cool stuff" isn't there in a volume that would justify the production and R&D costs for the aformentioned models. Sucks, huh? Make sure to smack the next person you see driving a Ford Valdez...er Expedition. That always makes me feel better. :)

·
Registered
3,890 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im going to Munich tommorow, and will try to borrow a dig cam for the trip. I will send some pics back...its amazing..in Munich you can ALWAYS count on seeing an AMG V12, Modena, 640 Cabrio (didnt even know it was OUT yet:rolleyes: )...etc.
I will also try to get a pic of my Russian language instructor, who is "slishkom zharkaya" (rough translation is: "too hot".
And yes, boys and girls...i am indeed getting PAID for this:D

-Ray

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Dizzy said:
Make sure to smack the next person you see driving a Ford Valdez...er Expedition. That always makes me feel better. :)
Did you see last week's 5th Gear? Funny how they said those Expeditions or Lincoln Navigetto or monster diesel trucks are so rare compared to your typical gansta Ferrari in the UK. Here I can't go a day on my commute without getting stuck behind a belching dualie hickup diesel truck. Some things should just be illegal. They make clean burning diesel cars in Europe while the EPA allows belching barges here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts