Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
19lbs? I bet you haven't been running that kind of boost for long...

I have an sbc-id on the way but there is no way on this good earth I plan to run 19lbs on the stock internals. I also don't see any EGT or A/F monitoring/controlling devices in your mods. Yikes! Be careful dude...

I dunno about you but I sure can't afford a new motor for my brand spankin' new car!

Also what is that dark blue about? A color we don't have here in the U.S.?

Cheers!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, Rexwell
Rio de Janeiro altitude is 0Ft - Sea Level, and the Boost Pressure is Variable from:
13/14 psi at Red Line.
19 at 3500 rpm / 5000 rpm (WOT).
I will send to you a little video.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Rexwell:

He's right. (same altitude in here..PR)

And by the way...Im pretty sure internals can handle a few more psi than 19psi. Ive seen many other cars (Mitsu, Hyundai, Suzuki, Etc) been turbocharged running 12s-13s with stock internals. (In fact twin cam Suziki swifts running mid-high 10s with stock internals.)

Imprezer and others have run 13s without no problem. I assume 12s should be the max for those rods and pistons.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Julio:

I don't know my 1/4 mile times.

I wonder how much pressure the stock WRX is in the US. Here at WOT my car did 14psi. So 19 isn't much. I had some spikes of 22psi.

When i had my MBC installed it was at about 21-23psi WOT. I had to reduce the pressure to 19psi. If any of you want I can send a mpeg video w/ my boost readings.

My car pix are in the gallery.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I could sit here and throw pressure numbers out all day and it wouldn't mean anything. The key to remember with turbocharged cars is VOLUME.. not pressure. It's like when I go to the street races and some honduh kiddie asks me "how much ya boostin?" "22psi" I say. They flip sayin I'll blow my motor with that kinda boost. Wrong. Compression ratio is lower on factory turbocharged motors so that it can handle more boost. Also, the Mitsu TD04-9b or whatever it is flows about 250cfm at 15psi. So you could boost that turbo all day and not see 400cfm out of it. It'll be worthless at anything over stock boost anyway becuase it will just heat the air and any gains in volume will be offset by increased intake temps.

Just an FYI..

-jay

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"It'll be worthless at anything over stock boost anyway becuase it will just heat the air and any gains in volume will be offset by increased intake temps"

Let me clear you something. Of course you can't go boosting high pressures w/ the stock turbo, but you sure can make it to 19psi w/out any problems.

"I could sit here and throw pressure numbers out all day and it wouldn't mean anything."

Are you saying that pressure numbers don't mean a thing?? I'm sure if raise your stock boost levels from 14psi to 19psi(22psi at WOT) It will mean something.

BTW I have the Superchips setup (superchips.co.uk) and I'm sure I can feel the 40hp gain :)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Originally posted by malaguti:

Let me clear you something. Of course you can't go boosting high pressures w/ the stock turbo, but you sure can make it to 19psi w/out any problems.

Let me clear you something..19psi on that turbo is HIGH PRESSURE. I don't care how you want to look at it, the TD04-13G(same turbo I had on my automatic Talon) is a heat pump at anything over 16-17psi.I'm interested in the true efficiency of the stokc top-mount intercooler. Perhpas you or someone has some intake temp readings with the TD04-13G and stock IC at stock boost 13-14psi and your Superchips boost 19psi. I think you'd be surprised to see just how much hot air is being stuffed into the manifold at WOT.

Also, I'm not realy sure what Subaru has done to the turbo, but does boost fall from 19psi closer to redline. The tiny TD04 turbine wheel and 6cm housing is not at all conducive to high boost at redline. How much does it fall off at say 5500-6000rpm?

Are you saying that pressure numbers don't mean a thing?? I'm sure if raise your stock boost levels from 14psi to 19psi(22psi at WOT) It will mean something.
No, I suppose for arguments sake on this board we are all referring to the same turbo. However, when talking to say someone in the Supra camp or DSM crowd.. don't be mad when they quote only running 15psi to your 19psi and handily beat your car. Not becuase the Supra is so much more powerful.. this is again for arguments sake. Why you ask? They are running a much bigger, more efficient turbo.

-jay
this is gettin fun

[ June 28, 2001: Message edited by: phast ]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jay, at redline (7k) my boost readings drops to 14-15psi.

A larger turbo will produce more air volume at the same pressure than a smaller one as well as more turbo lag.

I had the previous Impreza GT (same engine , older body) and I keep it for about 2 years and 30k miles , I had the superchips since new w/out any problems and I pushed it very hard (5 tires sets were used).
I don´t know about the intercooler efficiency. I´ll try to get some readings of my set up

- This is always fun.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'd be interested in seeing those numbers if you have the ability to set it up. I'd certainly set it up, but I don't have a WRX...yet.

On that note, there was a guy at the local track who had already scrapped the stock IC in favor of a water/air unit and one of the IHI upgrades. He ripped off several high 13 second passes(at 5800ft above seal level mind you) that were quite impressive. Makes want to get one that much more.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts