ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I picked up an 02 WRX sedan about 6 months ago and have been lurking here ever since. Ive been Cobb stage 1 for about 3 months now but Im ready for a little more power. Im going to be getting an uppipe and downpipe in the very near future. I want to keep the stock catback because i've never been a big fan of huge shiny exhausts. How much of a difference in sound is this going to make with the stock catback? Also, how noticable is the exhaust smell when going catless? Im wanting to get one of the cheaper catless downpipes but if the smell or noise is going to be too bad, its worth it for me to spend a little extra to get a catted one. I've read that any 3" downpipe will mate to the stock catback but there are possible exhaust leaks. Are there any inexpensive (i.e. not cobb) downpipes that taper down to 2.5"? Thanks

·
Registered
0 Posts
Hey, I picked up an 02 WRX sedan about 6 months ago and have been lurking here ever since. Ive been Cobb stage 1 for about 3 months now but Im ready for a little more power. Im going to be getting an uppipe and downpipe in the very near future. I want to keep the stock catback because i've never been a big fan of huge shiny exhausts. How much of a difference in sound is this going to make with the stock catback? Also, how noticable is the exhaust smell when going catless? Im wanting to get one of the cheaper catless downpipes but if the smell or noise is going to be too bad, its worth it for me to spend a little extra to get a catted one. I've read that any 3" downpipe will mate to the stock catback but there are possible exhaust leaks. Are there any inexpensive (i.e. not cobb) downpipes that taper down to 2.5"? Thanks
Do what i did, buy a shorty down pipe, gut the stock mid pipe, and then u will not have any issues with fitment

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Your cat ends w/ the dp. Meaning the last cat in your exhaust is in the dp. Past that is a resonator.

So, yes, you can get a new dp and the Cobb will mate to your stock exhaust. With a stock exhaust, and going stg 2, you will not notice any big increase in exhaust noise. That mainly comes from the muffler without a resonator.

Go with a catless up, a catted dp, and a full 3" exhaust to a muffler that meets your needs for quiet v. rumble...

·
Registered
88 Posts
gut

how hard is it to gut a midpipe????

·
Premium Member
11,095 Posts
how hard is it to gut a midpipe????
Of the resonator? I wouldnt even both I'd go to a muffler shop and have them cut it out and put in a new pipe or just buy a catback.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts