Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Auto.com
TOP STORIES
Friday, November 08, 2002

Subaru recalls 163,243 vehicles in U.S. for transmission flaw BY ALAN OHNSMAN
BLOOMBERG NEWS

CHERRY HILL, New Jersey -- Subaru of America Inc., the U.S. sales arm of Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd.'s automobile unit, recalled 163,243 vehicles because a transmission flaw can cause them to slip out of parking gear.
The recall of cars and wagons includes some 2001 Legacy models; some 2003 Baja models; and all 2002 and some 2003 Legacy, Outback, Forester and Impreza vehicles. The automatic-transmission defect probably affects about 816 vehicles, or less than 1 percent of the total, spokesman Mike Whelan said. No injuries or accidents have been reported as a result of the problem, he said.
Subaru said quality assurance tests found that some parts used in the parking-gear system didn't meet specifications. Customers soon will be sent letters explaining the problem, and repair parts are expected to be available by January, the company said. Setting the parking brake can prevent the vehicles from rolling if there is a defect, Subaru said.

AvantGo/Wireless home

A publication of Knight Ridder Digital
Copyright © 2002 Detroit Free Press Inc.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Wow, that would really suck to park your car, walk away, and a few minutes later come back to find out it has rolled away :eek:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Shouldnt happen though, thats why they invented the e/parking brake! :D

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
otherwise known as the handbrake. I don't know about you guys but when i had an AT car i never put up the handbrake.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Wonder if that will happen in Australia aswell (the recall).

A month after I bought my My01 WRX, got a letter from Subaru Australia, telling me bring the car into my nearest Service centre, as there has been a few cases in Europe where if you were doing speed in excess of 200 Km/hr the bonnet scoop could fly off. A fault in the pins they used to fasten the scoop down.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aust-WRX said:
Wonder if that will happen in Australia aswell (the recall).

A month after I bought my My01 WRX, got a letter from Subaru Australia, telling me bring the car into my nearest Service centre, as there has been a few cases in Europe where if you were doing speed in excess of 200 Km/hr the bonnet scoop could fly off. A fault in the pins they used to fasten the scoop down.
visions of allister mcrae haha

·
Registered
18 Posts
omg....i j/ saw this post....and like i think thats wut happened to me........

i wuz parked at school......and like i opened my door.....and my car started rolling forward.......scaredtf out of me:eek:

so i slammed on the brakes and restarted the car.....put it into drive and then put it into park again.....and prayed that it wouldnt roll forward since i wuz late to class and couldnt stay and watch it

what should i do to get subaru to fix this problem?

i have a boost controller installed....so do u think they would still fix it?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Is your vin 2H509931 through 2H531625? If it is yours will be recalled. You will be getting something in the mail telling you to set up an appointment. Don’t worry about your mods, I don’t think that matters with a recall. By the way my vin is 2H526720, that’s just great.

:( wrxtuners

·
Registered
18 Posts
this is a pretty n00b question, but where do i find the VIN #?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Its on the front left part of the dash, right where the windshield and dash meet in the corner. Or its also under your hood on the left side by the fuses.

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
Plus, many car insurance companies have your VIN on the card that they provide you :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yup, I think im included in the defective bunch

I called my dealership today to ask about it and the maintenance/repair guy said he had no knowledge of any such thing and that Subaru has not sent him any information regarding this??

·
2,210 Posts
Reminds me of the foot-operated E-Brake on my Wrangler. I just received a recall notice for a defective ratchet design for my model year which allows the brake to release itself randomly.

Thanks Chrysler - I discovered this the hard way FOUR YEARS AGO when the E-Brake released itself and my Jeep rolled from it's parked location out into a two-lane highway. :rolleyes:

Wife: "James, why is everyone honking their horns outside."
Me: <Goes to window>
Me: "Holy crap! My Jeep is sitting in the middle of the highway!!!"

:eek:

Needless to say; I ALWAYS leave it in gear now.

-Pace

·
2,210 Posts
nigginondubz said:
Yup, I think im included in the defective bunch

I called my dealership today to ask about it and the maintenance/repair guy said he had no knowledge of any such thing and that Subaru has not sent him any information regarding this??
It's not in the NHTSA database yet. This would indicate to me that Subaru are still in the process of making preparations to notify service departments etc.

Assuming it's not a ruse.

-Pace

·
Registered
106 Posts
I was wondering if any Subaru owner with the affected 4EAT Automatic Transmision problem, bring there car to the dealer for the recall yet?

If so , could you tell me what it involved?
Did they have to do the work from under the car or from the inside of the car?

The reason I am asking is that I received the official notice from Subaru awhile ago and I just received a notice from my dealer stating they are now ready to honor the recall.

I have yet to experience this transmission problem nor do I ever want it to happen to me. I'm just very particular when it comes to other people working on my car no matter what the reason.
No matter what, mechanics always leave a sign that they were there and I hate cleaning up after them or finding pieces not correctly re-installed.

Thanks for any replies.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i love how it took subaru like 2 months to honor it. i just hope the people with the defect didnt roll into a highway like pace's jeep.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts