ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been asking about dealerships not performing warranty because an aftermarket tune was put on the car. I'm not wanting to beat this to death and I get that it depends on the particular dealer and service dept, but I figured I make a post specifically for it. Just got a '12 WRX. Want to do the Torqued Performance Stage 1, car has no mods. 2500 miles. I have been told that warranty will be voided with any kind of a tune downloaded. Basically want anyone who has had this happen to their car, let me know.
My thinking is, say you put on an aftermarket air intake, like K&N with a Carb EQ# and all. What if the extra airflow sets off a check engine light? The only way to correct for it is an aftermarket tune. How the hell could that void your warranty? I just think it sucks. :mad: Anyone had any problems at a service dept, post. Thanks.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
They can't void, but they can deny a claim.

It is going to vary by dealership, but some claims can't even be approved at the dealership level (a regional manager must approve them), so even if you have a lenient dealership, you can still get hosed.

Which is more important: warranty or modding?

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
My issue with dealerships is their lack of knowledge. I've had them tell me they would still honor the warranty on my car when it had an ej257 block, aftermarket turbo, FMIC, MBC, injectors, pump, UTEC, etc.

But when I had them look at it to troubleshoot a problem the tech just stared at my engine and told me he had no idea what he was looking at. They still did a clutch replacement under warranty, but they were afraid to work on the motor because they didn't know what they were doing.

Some time later, the shop I take my car to now called the same dealership asking if they had a specific part for a STi in stock. The parts department guy actually asked them "what's an STi? I don't think we have that kind of car here".

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
I'm assuming that you've already driven the car?

No warranty for you!!!!

·
I Drink & I Know Things
2,477 Posts
When dealing with warranty issues don't even talk to the dealer first. Call Subaru NA and ask to speak to a supervisor. Then have them call the dealer of your choice to make arrangements for service. Even after modding (and out of mileage) you can get things covered and in some cases billed directly to Subaru. If not, you pay upfront and get a reimbursement check a couple weeks later. That's how it's been for me. Although there is one dealer that I will not go back to because they gave me a base model 2008 Impreza (in 2011) that smelled like farts for a loaner car *lol*...then scratched my rear window tint when replacing my fuel pump somehow, but denied it. Oh yeah...like I wouldn't notice a huge 6 inch scratch in my 5% tint right in the middle of my view. Arg. At least the other dealer near me gives me a brand new Outback for a loaner car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My issue with dealerships is their lack of knowledge. I've had them tell me they would still honor the warranty on my car when it had an ej257 block, aftermarket turbo, FMIC, MBC, injectors, pump, UTEC, etc.

But when I had them look at it to troubleshoot a problem the tech just stared at my engine and told me he had no idea what he was looking at. They still did a clutch replacement under warranty, but they were afraid to work on the motor because they didn't know what they were doing.

Some time later, the shop I take my car to now called the same dealership asking if they had a specific part for a STi in stock. The parts department guy actually asked them "what's an STi? I don't think we have that kind of car here".
Lol, that's pretty terrible. It is a dealer service dept tho, never know what you're gonna get. Just sucks with a new car I feel like I can't do what i want. I have never owned a vehicle and not modified it. Being new to Subaru too I guess doesn't help. Sure would suck for some random fck up to happen in 20k miles and not get my engine replaced b/c i put a tune on it. Said it before... lame.

Quote Originally Posted by xFalleNx View Post
I'm assuming that you've already driven the car?

No warranty for you!!!!

You drove the car? That's a wear item.. not covered.

Yeah that's pretty much what it feels like...

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Don't forget to double check the work. I've had missing bolts, unplugged hoses and a loose clamp.... an important one.

·
Registered
105 Posts
All my dealer mechanics look like they've never went to school or certified for that matter. They all drive 80's and 90's Legacys and SVX's and are ol school hippie looking mofo's. They know their stuff though. I also know they love Subaru's as much as I do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts