ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Possibly need someone to do a JDM engine swap for me...:eek: I am now looking for a Twin Turbo Legacy Engine setup...:eek: I have abandoned all my other ideas of getting a new car and using this car I have now as a project car...:wiggles: Will update later about this stuff...;)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Not to break your spirits or anything, but the twin turbo set up will not work with LHD without some major and expen$ive work that makes it not worth it. Personally, I think you would be much better getting a EJ20 single turbo set up out of one of the earlier RS i belive legacy's. Those will fit right up and is a pretty bomb proof engline.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Zoombaru said:

So Jon, do you think you'll ever actually do anything to your car, or are you just going to talk about it forever?
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: As soon as I know what I actually want to do, then I will stop talking and do it... But I can never make up my mind of what to do...:( I do know one thing though... I'm going to keep my car and turn it into a project car...;) :D Sorry for talking so much...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TheAdict said:
Not to break your spirits or anything, but the twin turbo set up will not work with LHD without some major and expen$ive work that makes it not worth it. Personally, I think you would be much better getting a EJ20 single turbo set up out of one of the earlier RS i belive legacy's. Those will fit right up and is a pretty bomb proof engline.
Technically your right... However, if you find the whole front clip, the conversion would be a little easier...:rolleyes: Are you talking about the turbo legacy engine...:confused1

·
Registered
271 Posts
blueslsti said:
Technically your right... However, if you find the whole front clip, the conversion would be a little easier...:rolleyes: Are you talking about the turbo legacy engine...:confused1
The problem with the TT set up though, is that the 2nd turbo hits the brake booster. Theoritically, you could do it if you reworked the exhaust manifold, and relocated the turbo, but that would leave a gap in the powerband when the turbos are supposed to switch over, let alone all the custom work that would require. The only sorta feasable way of doing a EJ20tt comversion is to buy a RHD postal legacy, then do the conversion on that because everything would bolt right up.

Now, since your car is a BF legacy, IMO the most proper/ coolest/ cheapest way to get that JDM performance is to swap in the engine (EJ20G) from the early 90's Legacy/Liberty RS (also at times known as the GT). This is actually a swap I am considering for my legacy, to make a powerful 2nd car. They are very strong, and powerful motors with a Closed deck (=very strong) and depending on the turbo that was fitted (there were options) some have up to 250-270ps (RS-RA version) Plus, you can get them dirt cheap and they run great. Ask Matt Monson on here, he just did that swap from a JDM Legacy GT into a 1990 Legacy, and it worked great.
Cheers
-Jeff

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TheAdict said:
The problem with the TT set up though, is that the 2nd turbo hits the brake booster. Theoritically, you could do it if you reworked the exhaust manifold, and relocated the turbo, but that would leave a gap in the powerband when the turbos are supposed to switch over, let alone all the custom work that would require. The only sorta feasable way of doing a EJ20tt comversion is to buy a RHD postal legacy, then do the conversion on that because everything would bolt right up.

Now, since your car is a BF legacy, IMO the most proper/ coolest/ cheapest way to get that JDM performance is to swap in the engine (EJ20G) from the early 90's Legacy/Liberty RS (also at times known as the GT). This is actually a swap I am considering for my legacy, to make a powerful 2nd car. They are very strong, and powerful motors with a Closed deck (=very strong) and depending on the turbo that was fitted (there were options) some have up to 250-270ps (RS-RA version) Plus, you can get them dirt cheap and they run great. Ask Matt Monson on here, he just did that swap from a JDM Legacy GT into a 1990 Legacy, and it worked great.
Cheers
-Jeff
thanx man

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I really wish I knew what i wanted to do... Damn, I blame Ian...:D :wiggles: ;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
I saw a twin turbo kit for EJs online somewhere, only like $3K. You could invest the remaining two on what you'd spend on the clip in building your motor. Just a suggestion. You have the turbo legacy? That's a good block to start with. And finish with, really.

Irena West

·
Registered
714 Posts
Imo, dont go EJ20. While it is a good block, the EJ22 is a very good block to build off of. What I am planning on doing to my 93 turbo sedan is to use the EJ22 block, with ported 2.5 sohc heads and some various other goodies. Lemme know what setup you will end up doing.

Maybe I'll start working on a way to make the twin turbo engine work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts