ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been in love with the WRX since 2002 (I still think the bugeyes are the best looking WRX out there).

In late 2004 I was looking for a new car, and despite my love for the Subie, budget won out and I bought a Civic Coupe. I don't regret the civic, a great car, and even 3 years old, it's only lost about $3500 in value since I bought it (including TTL when purchased) - it has run great, and been a great car... but the itch has returned, and I can't get the WRX off my mind.

Unlike most of you, I like the new, grown-up wrx. Its the ultimate sleeper if you ask me - especially after I peel off all the badges. My wife thinks I am only looking at this one car, and I need to look around more, the trouble is, I don't know what else to even look at with the criteria I have.

Given the list below, what other cars should I be considering.

-AWD or RWD (I never want another FWD car... said that BEFORE the civic too!)
-4-doors, I'm sick of coupes.
-Solid performance - something that get to 60mph in around 6 secs or less, and handles nicely.
-Reliable (I had a Pontiac before the civic... never again)
-Similar price point
-good resale values
-Manual Tranny (even in socal traffic, I would never go back to automatic)

I don't need any premium features. just gimme a good car, meet the above list, and have A/C and I'm fine. Oh yeah... power windows and door locks would be nice this time around too :)

I had originally thought to look at the Lexus IS250 - its a little more money than a WRX, and more than I wanted to spend, but with Lexus/toyota's known resale values I thought it might be good, but the 250 with 6-speed is pretty slow (8 seconds to 60mph...).

Help please - I do agree with her, I need to shop around. I think my demands are reasonable enough here, but I really can't think of much that fits the bill.

Thanks,

Ray

·
Registered
0 Posts
mazda3 speed but idk about the resale value

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,233 Posts
Not wanting FWD and wanting four doors limits your options in that price range since the Germans price their stuff thinking it's still the late 90s economy. I'd look at the Lexus again, those 2 seconds to 60 mph may not be worth more money (especially in SoCal, I came all the way home in 1st and 2nd tonight because of the "holiday" traffic).

If you do reconsider the FWD limitation, buy an Accord or a Camry and call it a day, never look back. It's often much smarter to borrow a fast car from someone that's stuck paying and towing it than to buy one.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, so I will have a look at the speed3, despite its FWD. I liked the look of the BMW 3-series... but you're talking $35-40k by the time its all said and done.

But what I'm getting is that the WRX is really all alone, in that there is really nothing that matches its features/abilities at this price point.

Any more ideas?

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
What price range are you looking at? The Mazdaspeed3 is a hatchback and FWD, while the Mazdaspeed6 is a sedan with AWD. They're about $28k, and push 270ish hp ;)

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
One of my coworkers has a Mazdaspeed6, it's nice. If you are going to consider that, then you might as well consider a Legacy GT too - which IMHO has better modding potential and likely a better residual value too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts