Subaru WRX Forum banner

So what can we expect from the 2020 Subaru WRX?

13K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  seanracerx1986 
#1 ·
I am a proud owner of a Subaru 2016 WRX premium. I love my car. I have about $30,000 in it. I had the leather seats and trim installed after market. looks great. I have several interior mods but No engine alterations. I am worried about the warranty if the engine blows. truthfully I like the car the way it is. yes we all want more power but for a daily driver this is a great car for me. So I have been patiently waiting on the next gen WRX for 2020. The dealerships and online reports all say there are big changes coming. My concern is what if they make this classic line worse? I like the concept photos but as we all know that does not mean anything. The amount of rumors and speculation right now is staggering. Here is What I have heard online or mostly from dealerships and service departments that claim to be in the know.
-major body change more aggressive and sporty
-power boost with a possible new motor 350 horsepower to compete with Focus RS and Honda TypeR
-same motor in the Ascent with no horsepower gain
-hybrid motor What????
-convert to the 2.0 FA20DIT currently in 2015 wrx for both versions
I was looking to upgrade from my 2016 to a new sportier version. Again I love my car but it needs more curves to really stand out. Something about the back end looks plain and very much like a true sedan. I considered upgrading the rear spoiler to a duck bill and maybe a few other mods. But does this make sense when I plan to buy a 2020? So far my hopes have been dashed by early rumors. Has Subaru really learned anything from their 2013 concept to what we actually got? I thought the 2013 concept was fairly aggressive. Just conversation stuff, not the end of the world. So far with my lower back issues this is one of the few sport type cars that I can drive without spending $50,000

See less See more
#2 ·
I would expect the drive-train to remain mostly the same, if not a very small power bump, just to say they did. I would be inclined to believe the WRX will receive electronic dampening control, as this is becoming more standard, and some kind of 'sport' mode much less complex than the STI. Other changes will include mostly styling. I agree with you on the rear end. The rear on my 13 WRX sedan looked really stout and aggressive with the sturdy looking spoiler. The current generation leaves a lot to be desired in terms of a decent spoiler, but the rest of the rear end looks great.

#3 ·
I agree I wouldn't expect much powertrain change. 270 HP seems about right for this car--no way the WRX will go above 300 HP anytime soon. Switchable drive modes would be appreciated, at least as a Limited option.

Not enough time to put in a hybrid but I think that hybrid and full electric are the wave of the future. (I think Subaru is a bit late to the game, so maybe partner with Toyota for this?)

Re' styling it will be different, probably sleeker, I hope like the concept. Rumors are it will be closer to the concept than the last version.

My ill-informed thought is that if they made the current version too sexy, they would have sold too many units and wouldn't have been able to keep up with production. (Wish we all had those problems, I know...) The master plan was to increase sales and ramp up production til 2020, when they will be ready for a sleek new model and some real demand.

#16 ·
Lol, I now drive a whopping 20 miles/month for my work commute. Honestly, I think an EV is in order.

#6 ·
I guess at the end of the day We are what our history says we are. Subaru seems to be very conservative
in many ways. Their history proves it. I guess that could mean little to No power gain and probably one of the current motors. Maybe they will get busy on a sleeker design. Every time I see a Limited BRZ I think "Geez that is so much better to look at" I tried to talk myself into a BRZ but for someone like me it would be a nightmare. I need more room and more back support. plus the power difference feels enormous to me. I realize that is perception only.

#8 ·
I don't think my car is ugly. I just wish it had better rear end lines. The car looks killer after you invest in more exterior mods. I think if the 2020 is more of the same then I may stick with what I have and do a few mods to spice it up some. I think the front end is solid.

#9 ·
I'm waiting for the inevitable "top secret" photos/specs of what it will be like in production, from magazines, rumor mills, and dealership employees "in the know". Always entertaining. :wiggles:

#13 ·
#10 ·
I doubt it will be anything substantial. The WRX will remain largely unchanged with some styling changes, possibly the death of the manual gearbox.

If I had to go out on a limb I would say super agressive looking Civic type r looks, and the sti drops some displacement and remains the same power.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#12 ·
I was not around for the 2013 prototype hype. I can easily see why people were disappointed. The prototype was more aggressive and had a much better rear end. I really want to believe some of the hype and chatter but when you look at Subaru's history then you start to think that there will be little change. I always wonder whether the inventory of current parts has anything to do with the timing of a big body change.

#15 ·
:fuu:

No of course not, I hate "psychic" dealers too! Hope you enjoyed that lol!

#22 ·
I am very happy with my 2017 WRX (21,000 miles on it). Nothing will pry it away for me for several more (maybe even twice that) years, and even then, it will take a return to Subaru waking up from being brain dead and giving me (and so many others) the WRX hatch we have been longing for.

#27 ·
I'll definitely be waiting for more information on the redesign. While I liked the Viziv STI concept, I know it won't look exactly like that when done.

I traded in my '16 WRX for an SUV back in 2016 after only having it for less than a year and a half and I am eagerly waiting for the new redesign to get back into another WRX. I'm really liking the subtle differences introduced for the 2018 model year. I'll probably also watch for 2019 model updates as well. I don't expect to see any redesign information until late 2019 or maybe even early 2020 though....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.