ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2005 wrx and the dash is beat up, scratched, cut...The kid that owned it before me must not of cared about anything.

Anyway, I want to do something to fix it. I was thinking I could get a carbon fiber dash trim, but that seems kind of expensive.

So then I thought I''d try to track down some replacement pieces, but I can't seem to find any easily.

You think I could paint them, or what?

Any ideas guys.

-Thanks.

·
The Member
4,146 Posts
You could always cover it in a fabric of some kind. Suede looks good. You could even get some 3M vinyl wrap for it.

Those could be quick or even temporary fixes until you could source all the parts you need.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
do you have pics of the damage?that will help us better assist you:)
Ill take some pictures tonight. Ill link it to my photobucket cause the pictures will be hi res

You could always cover it in a fabric of some kind. Suede looks good. You could even get some 3M vinyl wrap for it.

Those could be quick or even temporary fixes until you could source all the parts you need.
thats actually a really good idea. I was thinking something like that. cause im ocd like that with my car. its been driving me nuts.

You could look into flocking
im sorry, whats flocking?

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I would highly suggest against just covering your dash in suede. Thats going to be nearly impossible to get to look right without spending large amounts of money (thousands) and even then will be tough.

Flocking is a type of covering that uses small particles of fiber and a special glueing process to basically stick them to your dash or whatever your flocking. I know that sounds very cheap and gross but it can turn out to look and feel like suede while conforming to the exact shape of your dash much better as they are individual fibers. Many Rally/Race cars have flocked dashes because it cuts out any glare that is caused by the plastics on stock dashes. It is something that can be done at home with the investment in some tools (flocking gun) or you can pay someone to do it. Do some searching around google for more info and pictures.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I like the CF wraps. Its not that expensive, I work at a interior design/architecture firm so I can probably see if I can get a small roll at vendor pricing for you if you're in the PA area. I know people that wrap the dash and its a pretty nice look. Personally, I love the alcantra suede stuff and I would consider doing something like that. I would do the shift boot and ebrake that that point too.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Well I've heard 3M Di-Noc works great for most people doing interior wrapping. Its a little bit pricier but the quality is phenomenal. It is also fairly easy to work with so that's usually worth its weight in gold when dealing with wrapping. Good luck.

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
Flocking makes me think of fake snow on xmas trees..... your avatar looks like it was flocked:rotfl:
+1. What the flock? That's just hideous.

...and how would one clean that furriness?

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Have any of you seen a well done flocked dash in person? If not, do it before you judge. As I said, many race cars use flocked dashes. Depending on the fibers it can look and feel like suede without having any wrinkles, bubbles, seams etc

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
Have any of you seen a well done flocked dash in person? If not, do it before you judge. As I said, many race cars use flocked dashes. Depending on the fibers it can look and feel like suede without having any wrinkles, bubbles, seams etc
Okay, googled it. IMO, it's still hideous and completely impractical. Seriously, do you have to use a lint brush to clean the dust off?

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I believe a lint brush is the way of cleaning. And as I have said 3 times, it looks and FEELS like suede

1 - 20 of 33 Posts