ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive had my sti for about 2 months now and im quite disappointed in myself. I used to think i was so mechanical and such badass with cars when i was driving automatics, i can drive my ass off with a car on snow or anything else its just when the standard comes into play im having trouble. And i cry everytime i mess up a shift on my baby. My question is about the clutch on the sti, ive read a whole bunch of reviews on the sti's "dynamite clutch" and im not sure what the hell that means. Ive even heard from people that you have to be good to drive it properly. So my question goes to all people driving an sti and any tips you can tell me about driving it properly. Ive heard this sti go from a stop sign and it almost sounded like he had an automatic he was so good. Well i want to be that good and its not like im riding or burning the clutch im smooth around 3000 im just slow at it. And i want to get better. So im asking for any tips or pointers to help me out.

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
practice. get to know your car. experiment shifting at different RPMs.

·
Registered
494 Posts
practice. get to know your car. experiment shifting at different RPMs.
One of the best things to do is to learn the catch point of your clutch. Get in a flat parking lot, clutch in, shift to first, and SLOWLY let the clutch out. Don't give it any gas. Eventually you will fell it start grabbing. Now superglue the grab point in your head and go from there with gas.

I know back when I started driving that helped me out a ton. Never driven an sti, but I know a wrx is not the most forgiving tranny in the world.

Take your time.

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
Experience is the best teacher, but it ain't the cheapest. You have a well built strong tranny in your Sti. Practice makes perfect when driving manual. You may burn up a clutch (or cause it undo wear) in the process but thats life.

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
is this your first manual car? After driving a wrx then moving on to a sti, sti was so easy to drive. The clutch is near flawless, its a 2.5 you lay off that clutch slow enough you don't even have to give it gas to get it to move. Even up hill situations u can stay in first gear and just lay off the clutch a little its enough to keep it still then get on the gas when it turns green. Only problem i've heard from people that have 2wd cars that move to an awd manual is that you just need to kinda get the car going at higher rpm's, but idk about that, i started on awd and been with awd for 6-7 years now. When i drive my dads rwd manual truck, it all seems the same.

·
Registered
131 Posts
^ I agree a STi is alot easyer to drive then a WRX. Just take your time man and it will come to you. Also try aand figure out the grab point once you do it will get alot easyer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts