ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as the title states, I want a 2004 WRX Impreza.
I am currently a college student
19 years old
Part time working at target making 7.50 an hour
and I currently drive a 1996 Mustang GT with minor mods.
The reason I want to go with the wrx is because it is a 4-door first off, awd is a bonus and stock turbo is really catching my eye. Gas mileage will be a lot better than my stang and also it will smoke my car with my minor mods and the wrx stock.
I have plans for it IF I do get it. Which I will share later if someone wants to know. They are simple and minor mods at first but hopefully want to build a beast in the end.

I was just wondering if it is possible for me to be able to get one....

If you have AIM or MSN, feel free to contact me to get more in depth. I don't always get on here and check things so if I don't reply, get at me on one of those two.
AIM - InFatesHands88
MSN - [email protected]

Thanks

-Brian

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
KBB Retail for '04 WRX (5-spd, 60k) in my area is ~$17.6k.

A 4yr loan for that amount @ 6% interest (no down payment) would cost you ~$415/month.

Insurance would depend on your area, driving record, if you're on with your parents, etc. (I would suggest looking at Allstate, because you can get an idea of the insurance payment without giving personal information - multiple car insurance quotes isn't great for your credit).

I put approximately 1200 (1000hwy, 200city) miles/month on my '05 STi right now, and I fill my tank 4-5X/month ($150ish/month)

So, depending how much you work, how much you can put as a down payment, etc. - you could possibly afford the car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.
I will definitely look into that some more.
I'm glad someone actually priced it out for me who actually is doing it.
Hopefully I can do it.
I am trying to get a higher position at my work so I can make more money.
That would definitely help haha

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Dont forget insurance and all the premium gas youll be burning through cause you cant stop driving it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I need to go talk to some insurance people and get quotes.
I'll pass on your wrx man. Sorry.
It is going to be a while before I can actually get it and I would probably have to do it through a dealer or something because they can finance it and all. Thanks though.

What are common problems of WRXs?
Things that I would encounter.
Tips to keeping her in top running shape.
It will be all stock for a while.
Maybe buy a Forge BOV *personal choice* for my first mod or something.
That or lower it and TBE.

Anyways, tell me what I need to know.
Thanks guys.

-Brian

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
Yeah I need to go talk to some insurance people and get quotes.
I'll pass on your wrx man. Sorry.
It is going to be a while before I can actually get it and I would probably have to do it through a dealer or something because they can finance it and all. Thanks though.

What are common problems of WRXs?
Things that I would encounter.
Tips to keeping her in top running shape.
It will be all stock for a while.
Maybe buy a Forge BOV *personal choice* for my first mod or something.
That or lower it and TBE.

Anyways, tell me what I need to know.
Thanks guys.

-Brian
1st thing is no BOV. These cars don't like em, don't need em.

The cars, despite being turbo'd, don't need a whole ton of maintenance. There is a 60K check up and service that should be done (flushing fluids/lubes and changing filters) for an 04. You want to make sure the car wasn't modded too much (TBE is usually the 1st big mod + some type of engine management, usually a reflash). Make sure the tranny is shifting nice and smooth.

These cars will tick and give a funny idle feeling from the get go, so it makes it tough, but a good mechanic check and peeping around for mods is your best bet.

Tips to keep your kitten purring are changing the oil, not slamming your gears, and making sure you drive her in the dirt once a month.

I have an 06 that has 60K on the clock and has had a reflash and a TBE for over 40K and she greets me every morning with a nice rumble.

*my post isn't worth too much, but is a novice overview.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Dreamingboost said:
why no on the bov?
thanks for the all the info
even if you are a novice, you know more than i
I believe VTA BOVs are detrimental because of the location of the MAF sensor (causes your vehicle to run lean) - someone more knowledgeable will be able to back me up or tell me I'm wrong, though :p

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I mean you could run a BOV and not make it run lean if you did it right i'm sure...
Oh and why put it in the dirt once a month, how will that help the car?

·
Registered
593 Posts
might not help the car but you will look cool, and you can tell your freinds you own a BAMF rally car and have the mud to prove it

Matt

·
Registered
180 Posts
YOU MAKE 8 BUCKS NOW DUDE!!! lol well at least i think you do? here in illinois all target ppl under 8 make 8 now LIKE ME muhahaha lol

·
Registered
656 Posts
yeah, part time only making 8/hr would probably barely just be enough to pay for the car payment/insurance alone and not including maintenance, gas and any other bills you may have, I would just stick with what you have especially if its paid off until you can find some better paying jobs

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Slvr43 said:
is insurance on a wrx more than any other 4dr sedan?
because of the turbo?
Insurance Cost: WRX < Evo

Each vehicle gets a specific rating from the insurance company. For example, my '05 STi got a rating of "26" - which, my insurance agent (Liberty Mutual) said he hasn't insured a higher rating before. Basically, I would suggest going to Allstate to do a "ballpark estimate" of the insurance you'll be paying - this will not require your name/SSN, which means it won't have any negative impact on your credit (I've heard that many car insurance quotes can hurt your credit score).

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I will give you my story quick since it is close to yours

at 20 yrs old I bought my 04 WRX for $20,000. The payments are about $325/month but insurance is ~$2,400/year :whoa: . On the other hand when I bought it I was making $12/hr and now I am making $17/hr till I graduate next year so it is a little easier but I can tell you for sure it will be tough at times but good luck with your choice

1 - 16 of 16 Posts