Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.........and I'm thinking of ditching the endlinks. Why you may ask? Did they not perform as advertised? Am I experiencing clunking? None of the above really. They definitely tightened up the rear end as designed. I installed them properly, so no clunking either.

The real reason has to do with the fact that the wagon is my daily driver and ride comfort is more important than handling. I was very happy with the fact that the Prodrive springs reduced body roll and evened out the wheel well gaps without impacting ride comfort. I wanted to dial out some of the remaining understeer, hence the rear sedan sway bar and solid endlinks. My problem is that this combo has made a noticeable impact on ride quality that I don't think I can deal with on a daily basis. I would love to see what the wagon could do at the track, but the reality is I have an S2000 for that purpose.

Just wondering if anyone else did these modifications on their wagon and ended up with a noticeably harsher ride. Any comments from those with similar setups are greatly appreciated.

I am going to put the endlinks back to stock (keeping the sedan sway bar) to see if that will be a reasonable compromise.

Jimbo

·
Registered
0 Posts
I put a sedan rear bar on my wagon, but kept the stock endlinks. I didn't notice any difference until I lay it into a corner. And then I wouldn't say it's any harsher, just doesn't puke over as bad and feels tighter. When you switch back, let us know if you feel much of a difference... I've thought about getting solind endlinks, but it's pretty low on my list.. perhaps I'm underestimating the amount of flex going on with the stock ones.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Hmmmm.... interesting. I also have the prodrive springs and a cusco adjustable rear sway with kartboy endlinks - I swear I did not notice any difference in ride harshness. Perhaps I have insensitive butt!!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Jimbo said:
.........and I'm thinking of ditching the endlinks. Why you may ask? Did they not perform as advertised? Am I experiencing clunking? None of the above really. They definitely tightened up the rear end as designed. I installed them properly, so no clunking either.

The real reason has to do with the fact that the wagon is my daily driver and ride comfort is more important than handling. I was very happy with the fact that the Prodrive springs reduced body roll and evened out the wheel well gaps without impacting ride comfort. I wanted to dial out some of the remaining understeer, hence the rear sedan sway bar and solid endlinks. My problem is that this combo has made a noticeable impact on ride quality that I don't think I can deal with on a daily basis. I would love to see what the wagon could do at the track, but the reality is I have an S2000 for that purpose.

Just wondering if anyone else did these modifications on their wagon and ended up with a noticeably harsher ride. Any comments from those with similar setups are greatly appreciated.

I am going to put the endlinks back to stock (keeping the sedan sway bar) to see if that will be a reasonable compromise.

Jimbo
Your prodrive springs, wagon specific or sedan type?

·
Registered
208 Posts
In my experience, bumping up the rsb did NOTHING to the ride quality as my springs and struts pretty much dictate that. What it did do was initially, it made my steering feel heavier, but once I got used to it, the car felt more nimble than before. Also, the rear end responded much faster to weight transfers and steering input.

I'm running STi V7 RA struts with Prodrive springs. I previously ran GC8 KYB AGXs with Eibach Pro Kit springs and before that, I had King/Whiteline 20mm drop springs. RSB behaved the same on all 3 suspensions, it was only noticeable in the twisties:)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your prodrive springs, wagon specific or sedan type?
Are you referring to the Eibachs? Prodrive does not make wagon-specific springs.

I put a sedan rear bar on my wagon, but kept the stock endlinks. I didn't notice any difference until I lay it into a corner. And then I wouldn't say it's any harsher, just doesn't puke over as bad and feels tighter
Racenut - Your ride sounds like what I want. I will definitely let you know if there is a huge difference.

Jimbo

·
Registered
27 Posts
Jimbo, I'd be really surprised if it was your enlinks causing a harsher ride. Did you change the springs, swaybar, and endlinks all at the same time? I've got an '04 wagon with prodrive springs (which are awesome) and an SPO 22-24mm rear swaybar that came with solid endlinks and heavy duty mounts. I love the set up. I initially upgraded the swaybar and endlinks first and didn't notice any difference in ride quality. There was a noticable decrease in body roll and understeer. But the ride seemed unchanged. The prodrive springs changed the ride a bit. They are linear so the ride became a little stiffer. Certainly not what I would call harsh. My wife didn't mind the difference (in fact she likes it).

To any who are considering this setup, I highly recommend it. The prodrive springs drop the car about an inch front and rear which looks great. The handling is superb. With my swaybar set at 22mm the car is nearly neutral. In a drift is just slides perfectly sideways and you can induce a little oversteer with steering, throttle, and braking inputs. And the ride quality is only slightly rougher than stock. You won't be wincing at the bumps in the road. The prodrives are designed to work with the stock struts and I'll upgrade to the koni inserts when they finally go. I've got 20K miles on the stock struts with no problems yet.

Anyway, back to the point. I really don't think replacing the endlinks with the stock ones will change anything, except the responsiveness of your sway bar. In fact, the swaybar shouldn't even be noticable except when you turn. I think the only thing that will make your car less hash is going back to stock springs or maybe using a progressive spring like eibach ( I personally prefer the reactiveness and feel of linear springs).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the exact same set-up: Sedan swaybar, Prodrive springs and Kartboy endlinks on my wagon. I installed each separately so I could feel the difference each made, and nothing has really made the ride quality suffer enough to make me want to remove the part. Granted, it's stiffer than stock, but that was the goal...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wrxdude - I did the springs about six months ago and have been very happy with them. Got rid of the body roll, but the understeer was still there. Maybe I am being hyper-sensitive but I did have a co-worker who noticed the difference as well.

Jimbo

·
Registered
27 Posts
Jimbo, the springs won't do too much for the understeer. To fix that you'll need the rear swaybar and/or a performance alignment. It's interesting that you didn't notice the increase in ride harshness until you put in the rear swaybar. Have you switched in the stock links yet and tried those? I can't imagine that they will make much difference but you never know. Is the ride harsher only in corners or all the time? The sway bar is designed to move with the suspension during straightline performance and shouldn't be noticable in those circumstances. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
wrxdude said:
I've got an '04 wagon with prodrive springs (which are awesome)...
so did you use the 02-03 rear strut tops with the Prodrives? I too have an 04 Wagon, but was planning on waiting until Prodrive came out with 04 specific springs...

·
Registered
27 Posts
so did you use the 02-03 rear strut tops with the Prodrives? I too have an 04 Wagon, but was planning on waiting until Prodrive came out with 04 specific springs...
I lied.... I have an '03 Wagon... sorry about that. So, no, the prodrive springs don't work with the '04 strut tops. You can either wait for the new springs, buy some '02-'03 strut tops, or upgrade to some sti strut tops....

·
Banned
601 Posts
Yeh, no offense, but after getting stiffer springs and larger wheels I would think that the end links have nothing to do with the roughness of your ride. I bet if you changed the springs back to stock, or changed the wheels back to stock, you'd be much happier with the comfort level then if you removed your end links. I guess the wheels and springs cost more or something:).

peace

·
Registered
555 Posts
Man...this thread is like a huge commercial for Prodrive springs...I too have a wagon and the body roll, especially with s03's, makes me cry.

I have a stock set of made strut, spring, tophat combo w/ 1000miles on them. I was hoping to swith out the springs and swap the whole deal in when my struts give...I'm at 48K now...so soon.

Are there different types of prodrive springs and what's the going rate...anyone want to sell theirs???

...oh yeah...I got whiteline adjustable rear sway and endlinks...didn;t notice it affect the ride any...just made it easier to induce over-steer for me :D

Hg.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Guys,

I had the 17" wheels and springs for months and the ride was fine. Trust me when I say they are not the issue.

I have not switched back to the stock endlinks, but I have narrowed down the issue. It is only noticeable with at least one passenger in the back seat. I still plan to try the stock endlinks and see if there is a difference since it only takes a few minutes to swap them out.

Jimbo

·
Registered
671 Posts
03 thread bumpidge!

Finally took the time to swap in the KB endlinks on my 20mm sedan sway bar. 17" rims here, stock suspension, ride comfort has not changed an iota and no clunking.

Handling however is optimal to say the least. I know it's cliche to say but it's true... "this is how it [the wagon] should have come from the factory".

Perhaps it was the 070's in 80degree weather, but hello tight turn ownage!

-tp

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the 20mm rear sway and think I need just alittle more and wonder if the links will be what I need.
Jimbo: If the stock ones work and you need someone to buy your Kartboys drop me a line.

Teep: much props for the Detroit Grand Pubas avator.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Rear sway and endlinks should not effect ride quality at ALL.

I mean, think about it...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts