ClubWRX Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Best gears to practice this in, for me, we're 4th to 3rd. 2nd and 1st are pretty jolty if you miss as they are larger gears with more torque. Just my experience.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
downshift to accelerate. if you double clutch down to the right gear properly, there will be no strain on your drive train. slamming the throttle in your top gear will cause more strain on your engine, and can produce overboost.
I am wondering what you mean by double clutch, and also if it really makes a difference versus rev matching in a modern car?

·
Registered
436 Posts
I am wondering what you mean by double clutch, and also if it really makes a difference versus rev matching in a modern car?
Double clutch downshifts still require rev-matching. The technique is used to bring the transmission speed up in order to downshift into a lower gear smoothly with a non-synchronized transmission.

It goes as follows.

Clutch in > shift into neutral > clutch out > rev-match > clutch in and shift.

Removing your foot from the clutch in neutral connects the engine to the transmission and allows you to alter transmission speed with the throttle. This is a necessary technique for driving a dog box (non synchromesh transmission) like that found in heavy trucks and some race cars. Before synchromesh gained popularity, these were the most common transmissions available.

Double clutching is not necessary with synchromesh transmissions. Some people do it, and swear by it, but you really dont need to. Just don't hammer on the gears, that's all. If you feel resistance, let the synchros do their thing and it will soon fall into gear.

·
Registered
25 Posts
In reality if your above 3500k RPM already you don't need to worry about downshifting, our cars make full boost at 3k with a good setup and it'll pull fine to get you past traffic. If your jamming around on edge trying to pass someone going faster dropping it down and redlining it will help but normal driving with these cars downshifting isn't super de duper necessary unless your under 3kish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Double clutch downshifts still require rev-matching. The technique is used to bring the transmission speed up in order to downshift into a lower gear smoothly with a non-synchronized transmission.

It goes as follows.

Clutch in > shift into neutral > clutch out > rev-match > clutch in and shift.

Removing your foot from the clutch in neutral connects the engine to the transmission and allows you to alter transmission speed with the throttle. This is a necessary technique for driving a dog box (non synchromesh transmission) like that found in heavy trucks and some race cars. Before synchromesh gained popularity, these were the most common transmissions available.

Double clutching is not necessary with synchromesh transmissions. Some people do it, and swear by it, but you really dont need to. Just don't hammer on the gears, that's all. If you feel resistance, let the synchros do their thing and it will soon fall into gear.
Cool, we are on the same page. My cousin had a super-old Morris Minor without syncros which was fun to drive in this way, but I really don't see any difference in doing this in the WRX. I tried it last night for fun - maybe I have lost my touch, but it felt slower than just throwing it into gear.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Depending on the gear I'm in, I usually downshift if I really need some power to accelerate. I clutch in, give it some extra gas while shifting down, then ease out the clutch. Usually my downshifts are pretty precise that way, don't worry about hurting the drivetrain unless you're like my buddy who just doesn't even bother trying to rev match lol xD

·
Registered
4 Posts
Something that helped me was the top speed of each gear and the Subaru recommended shift point for each gear. For my 2013 WRX (5MT) Recommended shifting speeds are as follows:
1 > 2 - 15MPH
2 > 3 - 25MPH
3 > 4 - 40MPH
4 > 5 - 45MPH
On the flip side the MAXIMUM speed for the 5MT at (5800 RPM)(also what subaru recommends for top speed in each gear):
1st - 35MPH
2nd - 59MPH
3rd - 86MPH
4th - 115MPH
5th - 151MPH
Now, I don't recommend shifting into 2nd gear to pass at 45MPH, but it goes to show you that you CAN do it with enough throttle and clutch control. I've down shifted into 3rd at 55ish and nailed the throttle to blow the doors off an Evo on a couple occasions. The nice thing is that you're at a safe RPM to well into boost if you down shift that far.
(Speeds done for totally stock WRX on stock size tires)

·
Registered
1 Posts
For me it depends where I am at RPM wise and how fast I want to accelerate, I've down shifted from 70 to 5th to pull away quicker. Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong bit I always figured you'd hurt the engine more then the transmission with downshifting but that's only if you drop to many gears at once and over rev the engine.
Sry kinda new at this, if you're un 4th or 5th, is it ok to downshift at 2000 rpms, or is that too high?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Why not use this as practice time. Doing rev matching will get you in the habit. The next step is moving to heel and toe for downshifting into corners. You want the engine revs matched as you brake and then release for the corner. Just downshifting will unsettle the car, likely causing the rear-end to want to come around (over-steer). The same thing can happen in foul weather, too. You can jam in a downshift and unsettle the rear-end and wave as it starts to pass you up.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts