ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been three months since I bought my first 2015 6MT WRX CWP. It has 4300miles and I'd never attempted downshifting to accelerate because I don't like hurting the drivetrain lol. I would like to try someday and see what this baby got. Any tips? How would you downshift when you accelerate to 50, 60, 70, 80, and 90mph?

·
Registered
24 Posts
For me it depends where I am at RPM wise and how fast I want to accelerate, I've down shifted from 70 to 5th to pull away quicker. Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong bit I always figured you'd hurt the engine more then the transmission with downshifting but that's only if you drop to many gears at once and over rev the engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I always double clutch it when I drop a gear, usually giving it gas between gears so the engine is already at a higher rpm when it goes into the lower gear.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
downshift to accelerate. if you double clutch down to the right gear properly, there will be no strain on your drive train. slamming the throttle in your top gear will cause more strain on your engine, and can produce overboost.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Make sure to rev match when down shifting, if you do this I believe it to be the safest way to accelerate for your car. Not to mention the most responsive

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Make sure to rev match when down shifting, if you do this I believe it to be the safest way to accelerate for your car. Not to mention the most responsive
and smoother. Your passengers will thank you.
But most importantly, most fun and rewarding.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If he's never downshifted for speed he probably doesn't know what rev matching is.

Let's say your in 4th gear at 3,000 rpm, and you need more power to overtake the minivan going 50 in a 65... Clutch in, shift into third, at this moment you are going to want to give it a lot of gas, or blip the throttle to get the car back up to 3,000 and accelerate as you let the clutch out. Takes a lot of practice but I notice in my car my gears reduce the rpms by about 800-1200 per gear so, 3,000 in fourth, going into third you'll want to have the engine at 3500+ before you fully release the clutch to have a smooth downshift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How about on freeway? Let's say I'm driving 80mph with 3000rpm on 6th gear. And I have to downshift in a racing situation (I don't race btw..I'm just saying "if").

·
Registered
25 Posts
Same thing, drop it down, rev motor and release clutch before rpms drop while you give it gas. The trick is to not have the car jerk or jolt by matching how fast your back wheels are Making the tranny spin to the motor rpms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
143 Posts
How about on freeway? Let's say I'm driving 80mph with 3000rpm on 6th gear. And I have to downshift in a racing situation (I don't race btw..I'm just saying "if").
You would downshift to 5th but before releasing the clutch you would blip the gas pedal to about 4000 rpms and then release the clutch and punch it

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You would downshift to 5th but before releasing the clutch you would blip the gas pedal to about 4000 rpms and then release the clutch and punch it
hmmm.....interesting. blipping gas pedal time is a split second though. i need to practice. I damaged the motor mount? on previous car because I let it jerk while shifting.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
It depends on what rpm I'm at.. if I'm at around 4500rpm or higher, I normally wouldn't downshift to accelerate. If I'm at 1500rpm and need to take off quickly for whatever reason, then I will downshift.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Passing strategy varies based on the situation...

On a 2-lane highway, I will downshift (rev-match), and complete the pass in an efficient manner. I do not try to "prove something" by passing in 3rd gear, but I also don't want to hang around in the oncoming lane for any longer than I have to.

On an interstate, assuming I can safely pass a vehicle without obstructing faster-moving traffic, I don't even touch the throttle and retain my cruise control speed. If there is a faster-approaching vehicle in the left lane, and I don't believe I can pass the vehicle before that vehicle passes me (including the 3 second safe following distance for a lane change in front), I cut speed and wait until they've passed and then make my move.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
If there is a faster-approaching vehicle in the left lane, and I don't believe I can pass the vehicle before that vehicle passes me (including the 3 second safe following distance for a lane change in front), I cut speed and wait until they've passed and then make my move.

Same here.. if someone's approaching at a higher speed, I will stay to the right and slow down if I have to until they have passed.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Same here.. if someone's approaching at a higher speed, I will stay to the right and slow down if I have to until they have passed.
I treat other motorists the way I would hope to be treated...unfortunately, other drivers are ****wits.

I wish the US employed more EU regulations in terms of drivers licenses. Too many people here feel it's a "right" vs the "privilege" that it is.

·
Registered
436 Posts
OP, practice rev-matching. One easy way of learning is noting the RPM or a given speed in different gears. For example, go 40mph in 3rd gear, note the engine speed, and then do the same thing in 4th and 5th. Your spread will be different, but in my 2014 (5MT) its around 700 rpm. So, if I'm in 4th doing 40 I'll be at roughly 2000 rpm. if I want to downshift to 3rd, I'll need to increase engine speed to 2700 rpm in order to shift smoothly.

Do this with your car and note the RPM difference, It will be different since it is a 6MT. Then, find an empty road and practice.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts