ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 2006 WRX TR with 52k miles on it. I have a Cobb catted downpipe, and a GReddy exhaust, with a Cobb SF intake. Im flashed to the updated "v3" maps from my firmware update, and im currently running my 93 octane stage 2 map. What I don't understand is this... under light driving conditions, my Dynamic Advance reads -2.5 and 0 at idle. Under load, it'll hit 4.0 like its supposed to. Feedback knock is only a little bit under light acceleration (-1.4) then hits right back at 0. BUT, there are times when the Dynamic Advance will jump to -11, and Feedback Knock will jump to -8. DAM stays at 1.0 too...

Im thinking those instances are more or less a phantom knock that the sensors heard, but the Dynamic Advance being at a constant -2.5 out of 4.0 makes me a little paranoid.. I think it started with the updated map, but I can't be sure. Is it possible maybe my belt skipped and threw off timing a little? Could it be a bad tune? I only run Shell 93, so bad gas isn't a culprit I don't think. Suggestions??? Thanks guys, im running out of ideas.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Yeah it sounds like your running a little bit lean and thats weird that low in the powerband... If you can, please post up your datalogs so we can take a closer look... In the note of your new map, did they say it was okay to have the SRI? If not I'd switch back to your old map to be safe and make sure it allows your specific mods in the note... Dont overloom anything fpr the sake of your car, good luck man...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah it sounds like your running a little bit lean and thats weird that low in the powerband... If you can, please post up your datalogs so we can take a closer look... In the note of your new map, did they say it was okay to have the SRI? If not I'd switch back to your old map to be safe and make sure it allows your specific mods in the note... Dont overloom anything fpr the sake of your car, good luck man...
I was thinking it might be a little lean as well. The other day, I was in my garage and I started it up to let it warm up, and after it warmed up, it was idling at 15.0:1 AFR and would stay within .1 the whole time. While that's not TOO lean, it's leaner than most would like to see at idle. While cruising, it's anywhere between 14.2-15.0 depending on area, air temp, speed, load, etc. I will make a datalog on the way to work today and upload it off of the Accessport to see if you guys see anything that I don't. I'm not new to the tuning game by any means, but I've done everything I can think of, and I'm sure there are plenty of people on here that do this for MORE than a hobby haha.

On the map: Yeah, it's set up for a stock or Cobb intake. It is, after all, a Cobb management system haha. I did change the layout of the intake though. Instead of having the accordian piece in front of the MAF, it's just the intake before the MAF then the elbow to the inlet on the turbo. But if anything, I would think it would make it run rich doing that... and it's also been that set up for almost a year. Maybe it was okay on the older map, and the updated ones aren't okay with the intake set up? I also think it's possible the motor hopped the belt, i see it all the time at the garage I work at, but I don't wanna tear it all apart just yet. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Im sure if it jumped a tooth in the timing belt, I'd be throwing codes at you such as misfires... if you relocaded your maf sensor then thats probally your problem... Switch it back to the way it was and see what thay does... These cars are VERY touchy, so the maf should remain in its intendedplace...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The MAF housing is attached to the Cobb intake, so wherever the intake goes, that's where the MAF goes.. I'm about to put the stock intake back on. I talked to Eric at Applied Tuning Solutions down in Columbus, and he said he could send me a map that runs a little richer with a little less timing, and it would be safe until he could tune. I'm going to check for boost leaks this afternoon, then do a compression test. It's about to be a busy day...

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Yeah it sounds like it might be a busy day...lol Shot in the dark, but are you sure the maf sensor isn't in backwards?
It sounds like you have a good plan, just follow an order of opperation... Check that then the stock intake as you already said... Are you getting a check engine light at all?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah it sounds like it might be a busy day...lol Shot in the dark, but are you sure the maf sensor isn't in backwards?
It sounds like you have a good plan, just follow an order of opperation... Check that then the stock intake as you already said... Are you getting a check engine light at all?
No check engine light at all. That's why this is so frustrating. Im running 11.4:1 AFRs under heavy boost, and im almost positive it should be closer to 10 something. As for the MAF sensor being backwards, there is only one way on the housing to put it in, and that's the way its on. I messed up the boost leak test today and didn't get around to compression testing it. I haven't lost any oil and im not getting weird smoke... so Idk what a compression test will reveal. Besides compression number lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts