ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, just bought an 07 WRX wagon and I love it already. I currently live in MA and I'm moving to CO at the end of January. I love going snowboarding, so I figured if I'm going to be driving into the mountains alot in the snow, it might be a good idea to get a car that can handle it. I've been looking to get a set of snows and I was thinking a set of Dunlop Winter Sport M3's. Any opinions on these tires? I also want to go take a class at the Bridgestone Winter Driving School in Steamboat Springs. Anyone have any experience with this place?

·
Registered
373 Posts
First of all, just bought an 07 WRX wagon and I love it already. I currently live in MA and I'm moving to CO at the end of January. I love going snowboarding, so I figured if I'm going to be driving into the mountains alot in the snow, it might be a good idea to get a car that can handle it. I've been looking to get a set of snows and I was thinking a set of Dunlop Winter Sport M3's. Any opinions on these tires? I also want to go take a class at the Bridgestone Winter Driving School in Steamboat Springs. Anyone have any experience with this place?

I have Bridgestone Blizzak WS60 on my STI. its the most amazing snow tire ever, you can stop on ice and snow like its nothing and you have a TON of control in snow.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only Blizzak's that come up on tirerack that fit on the car are the Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25's. They do seem to be a bit higher rated than the Dunlop's but are also a bit more expensive. Do you have aftermarket rims on there or were they a different size on your model?

·
Registered
373 Posts
The only Blizzak's that come up on tirerack that fit on the car are the Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25's. They do seem to be a bit higher rated than the Dunlop's but are also a bit more expensive. Do you have aftermarket rims on there or were they a different size on your model?
Im using them on my stock BBS rims. i have summer/track tires on aftermarket rims. ive drove 2 or 3 named brand snow tires ( i live in north dakota) its like night and day with these, BUT dont take my word for it, give tirerack a call tomorrow see what they say.

·
Registered
436 Posts
i have Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSI's on my STi in MA. they have been incredible so far in the snow, and their R rated so i can go 105mph still if i have a urge.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the only ones that seem to fit on my factory rims are the following:
Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25
Dunlop Winter Sport M3
Goodyear Ultra Grip Performance
Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2
Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3
Dunlop Graspic DS-2
and
Michelin X-Ice

·
Registered
301 Posts
the only ones that seem to fit on my factory rims are the following:
Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25
Dunlop Winter Sport M3
Goodyear Ultra Grip Performance
Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2
Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3
Dunlop Graspic DS-2
and
Michelin X-Ice
I also have a 07 WRX wagon with factory wheels and am using the Yokohama W.Drives here in central OR. Size is 225/40-17

http://tinyurl.com/237dpb

I head up to Mt. Bachelor to go snowboarding once or twice per week and the tires have been pretty good so far, but they're a "winter performance" tire (such as the Dunlop M3) rather than a full-on "studless snow" tire (such as the Blizzak).

Winter performance tires supposedly have a good blend of snow traction and high speed capability, whereas studless snows are going for maximum grip. My tires do pretty well, but down here in town we get more wet, cold roads rather than snow or ice. Since the drive up to CO ski areas will involve a lot of snow and ice, I'd opt for some full-on studless snows over the winter performance tires.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I also have a 07 WRX wagon with factory wheels and am using the Yokohama W.Drives here in central OR. Size is 225/40-17

I head up to Mt. Bachelor to go snowboarding once or twice per week and the tires have been pretty good so far, but they're a "winter performance" tire (such as the Dunlop M3) rather than a full-on "studless snow" tire (such as the Blizzak).

Winter performance tires supposedly have a good blend of snow traction and high speed capability, whereas studless snows are going for maximum grip. My tires do pretty well, but down here in town we get more wet, cold roads rather than snow or ice. Since the drive up to CO ski areas will involve a lot of snow and ice, I'd opt for some full-on studless snows over the winter performance tires.
the picture that you have..,, the commercial grosses me out sooooo much

·
Not Asian
1,069 Posts
I have the Dunlops but haven't had a chance to test them in anything more than 1/2" to an 1". So far so good. I feel really comfortable with them and they're nice for the 90% of the time when there isn't snow during a PA winter.

·
Registered
301 Posts
As a kid growing up in Denver I used to have a 1983 Ford Bronco 4wd. It had open differentials and all-season tires and still made it through the worst of winters. I drove it up to the mountains numerous times. In other words, I bet any of the above snow tires will do fine. Some will be a little bit better than others, but having a good AWD system will get you there and home.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

good point of studless vs performance, problem is the Blizzak's LM-25s are actually listed as performance winter tires as well. I really think I can't go wrong getting the Blizzaks, so I think it's gonna end up being those. Probably order them at some point today.

·
Registered
301 Posts
good point of studless vs performance, problem is the Blizzak's LM-25s are actually listed as performance winter tires as well. I really think I can't go wrong getting the Blizzaks, so I think it's gonna end up being those. Probably order them at some point today.
I doubt you'll be disappointed.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Good choice on the car, deciding to move, and deciding to get snow tires. I would look at discount tire. They have shops out here in west and they will give you discounts on tires. They carry some Hancooks that are real nice.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I've been looking to get a set of snows and I was thinking a set of Dunlop Winter Sport M3's. Any opinions on these tires?
Best winter tires on the market. Amazing grip in the snow, but also a serious performance tire on dry pavement. There's a reason they're the recommended snow tires for the Porsche 911. I had a set on my 911 for 3 Boston winters and they were simply amazing. I have a set on my STI now and they're still amazing. Buy them and you will be happy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Good information fellas. I'm getting my but kicked in eastern Idaho right now skiing on the stock summer performance tires the 09' comes with. Will do some snow tire shopping tomorrow.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Good information fellas. I'm getting my but kicked in eastern Idaho right now skiing on the stock summer performance tires the 09' comes with. Will do some snow tire shopping tomorrow.
Update: I still have the W.Drives on my WRX but I'm convinced the Michelin Pilot Alpin 2 tires on my other car are better.

·
Registered
78 Posts
So does a snow performance tire like the dunlop sport M3 perform better when the temps drop below freezing? Or, does it perform better when the temps are say around 50F?

I'm just trying to figure out if the snow compound is designed to yield better performance as the temps drop.

thanks

1 - 20 of 32 Posts