Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tonight was the first time I've driven my WRX in snow. I take it really slow in snow just because I hate driving in it. Plus I'm used to rear wheel drive in snow.

I was turning on my street, going no more than 5-10 mph and barely touching the brakes, and I slid a little. ABS turned on (damn, they pulsate hard!) and saved me from sliding more. I hate snow.

So, should I keep the RE92s? Or should I buy snow tires? Or any other tires? If things go as planned, I will be getting new rims and tires sometime in the spring. I was thinking about using the stock wheels for snow and the new for summer. What snow tires do you recommend? Preferences: not wallet draining, available at Belle Tire or Discount Tire. And maybe a little lower profile than stock, but it isn't necessary. =)

Would snow tires make much of a difference?

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Snow tires make a huge difference. They're a bigger improvement over RE92s in the snow than good summer tires are in the dry.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Yeah, but if you have decent RE-92s, they'll do ok. Why waste a perfectly usable set of tires? If you're really worried about snow performance, get the RE-92s siped. It'll cost you less than $10 a wheel.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I read about siping. Is it really worth it? Does it make a difference? Anything bad about it?

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
It'll make them handle a bit worse in the dry maybe. Though the RE92 are pretty bad anyway. Heck, it might improve them! It should work quite a bit better for the snow. And like Rez said, its cheap.

C

·
Registered
100 Posts
Siping

Where can you get tires siped? I think I'll do that to my RE92's (I have 10,000 miles on them) and use them as winter tires until they crap out.

I have new Kumho Ecstra 712's to use as summer tires.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I know for a fact that Nation Tire and Battery does siping. Just call your local tire shop and see if they sipe tires. I think I'm going to do the same seeing as how I have about 4K miles on the stock REs and summer wheels/tires!

·
Registered
432 Posts
I would kill to have my stock tires back for the snow. My stock potenza's felt pretty good in the snow, easy to recover from a drift. I'm sure snow tires on a WRX would be absolutely ridiculous amounts of fun in the snow.
I went to Yokohama AVS db's which are great on dry and wet. In the snow they are totally useless, the car seriously feels like a RWD with slicks. I should have known but I guess I really couldnt see the tread pattern when buying online. I really dont need that much dry traction anyway, so next time I will buy something more aggressive (for snow/rain/gravel)

I'm learning the hard way this winter:mad:

·
Registered
9 Posts
tires already come with "sipes" in them but some genius decided that he knew how to design tires better than anybody in the tire industry so he made a machine that actually slices the tires tread blocks into smaller segments and tire shops bought into it hook, line and sinker and use this machine to create more profit. I have never met a high school kid working in a tire shop who can make a tire better by slicing the tread blocks .... complete BS and a waste of money .... If you only knew how little those types of places actually know about tires

·
Registered
9 Posts
I guess they are trying to "siperate" you from your money

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
I agree, Luke. Discount tried to get me to sipe a set of Dunlop SP8000's! What a Joke. It'd ruin them.

But don't you think it's probably a good cheap way to make the RE92s grip better in the snow? I know it's no substitute for real snows, but if you're planning to just throw away the tires come spring and put real rubber on anyway it might be a decent way to go if you don't want to invest in real snow tires this winter. I agree it would be stupid to get a set of tires siped when you buy them, but if you're stuck with tires you don't like anyway.....

Chris

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ok. The dude from tirerack has spoken. Plus he used a corny pun. :D

I'm (un)sold. No siping for me. I'm sticking to the stock re92's in the winter (I'll be north of Minnesota soon) and Kumho Ecstra 712's in the spring/summer/fall months. That is, until I wear out the re92's, at which point I'll get some Blizzaks from tirerack shipped to Canada.

·
Registered
9 Posts
GV27 said:
I agree, Luke. Discount tried to get me to sipe a set of Dunlop SP8000's! What a Joke. It'd ruin them.

But don't you think it's probably a good cheap way to make the RE92s grip better in the snow? I know it's no substitute for real snows, but if you're planning to just throw away the tires come spring and put real rubber on anyway it might be a decent way to go if you don't want to invest in real snow tires this winter. I agree it would be stupid to get a set of tires siped when you buy them, but if you're stuck with tires you don't like anyway.....

Chris
I guess I'm pretty well known in the Subi world and know alot of the Subi's guys and gals out there so, here is my take on your comments

Yes, I could see that adding additional sipes to a tires could "in theory" aid in snow traction but, on the down side it will not aid at all in ice traction. The only thing that can affect ice traction is the rubber compound. Snow traction is generated from "biting edges" in the tread design placed at precise angles taking into consideration the other elements of the tread design and there effect on tread movement and biting angles. One angle or size does not "fit all" in this situation.

What actually concerns me most is the aggressive nature in which most WRX's are driven. Because, like most areas of the country while I use winter tires in the winter I am not driving in the snow everyday all day long many times I am on dry roads. The reason this is a concern is the lack of stability of the tread block "since it's been sliced all to hell" and the very real possibility that the blocks themselves can possibly be seperated from the rest of the tire which could lead to immediate lose of air pressure at a critcal time.

is that a little more concise ???

Luke

·
Registered
444 Posts
verbal said:
What snow tires do you recommend? Preferences: not wallet draining, available at Belle Tire or Discount Tire. And maybe a little lower profile than stock, but it isn't necessary.
For snow tires, you'd either want to go higher profile for better traction or same profile. Lower profile would probably be worse in the snow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts