ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am total noob to cars and the scooby world (previous car was a 99 Sentra). Back in May I bought a new 2007 WRX limited wagon. LOVE IT! I was turned on to subarus by a friend about 5 years ago who bought a WRX and swapped the stock engine for an STI engine shipped from Japan as well as some other fun mods.
Anyways....

The G/F and I have season passes to Snoqualmie this year and wanted to snowboard frequently. I also will use my car up in the high country back roads for hunting. I know the subies do well in the snow with the all wheel drive, but would you suggest chains? If so, what do you/would you use?

Sorry if this sounds dumb, I am a total newbie.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
With a good set of snow tires you should never need chains. As long as your snow tires have the "M+S" designation on the sidewall, you should be able to get passed any chain check put up by highway patrol. However, technically you are still supposed to carry chains when they are required for 2WD vehicles, but I have never seen them check.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Good old AWD should do the trick. I asked the same question here at a big subaru meet and looked like a total idiot. EVERYone was hammering me lol!
Anyways with some good tread in the tires and the AWD our cars provide we shouldl be good to roll!

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
I would go for studded snow tires over chains (though, make sure you know the period of time they're allowed - I know in NY you can't have them on your vehicle past a certain date).

·
Banned
0 Posts
So i have made it up Little Cotton Wood Caynon(where Snowbird is) when it was dumping 4" an hour. They closed the caynon right behind me. It was such a great day. Fresh lines all day. All I had were some all seasons with only a little tread on them. This was the worst snow conditions I have ever seen. Subaru's are amazing in the snow. Just don't shift into first.... Ever!

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
So i have made it up Little Cotton Wood Caynon(where Snowbird is) when it was dumping 4" an hour. They closed the caynon right behind me. It was such a great day. Fresh lines all day. All I had were some all seasons with only a little tread on them. This was the worst snow conditions I have ever seen. Subaru's are amazing in the snow. Just don't shift into first.... Ever!
ROFL! Good story man. I cant wait to get my rexy baby in the snow! Shes gonna be a snow meng!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts