ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s getting to be about that time to start planning for the annual Sno*Drift rally!

Sno*Drift 2012
Sno*Drift Rally is the first event of the 2012 Rally America Championship series, and is presented by Sno*Drift Rally Inc. Running concurrently are the Sno* and the Drift Regional rallies. As in past years, it will be headquartered in Atlanta, Michigan but also utilize the towns of Lewiston and Hillman.*Sno*Drift Rally is unique several ways.* Besides being the only winter rally on the Rally America circuit, it is fully contained within Montmorency County, Michigan.*This year there will be larger Super Special for ease of viewing and there is the Sno*Attack, a rally within the rally for 2 wheel-drive cars.
It’s mostly a 1.5-day event, but considering its location, it’s at least a 2-day event for most. This season’s rally will be January 27th-28th, 2012. The official schedule tends to show up rather late on the website, so I’m basing this off last year’s experience.

Typically, the schedule looks like this:
Friday: drive up, meet at the bar in town, drink beer, go meet the drivers, look at the cars, buy merch, go back to the bar, drink more beer, go to hotel/couch, sleep
Saturday: wake up early, eat drive-thru breakfast, drive to first stage, get lost, drive to second stage, park, walk 1-3 miles to viewing area, watch cars go by, drink beer (optional), continue to drive/view stages until the last one ends.

By the time the last stage is done, you’re cold, and beat. A good dinner is required. Driving home at night is optional (almost hit a deer last year). Some recommend driving home the next day.

I plan to bring a couple friends, but none of them are on this board. I think it would pretty bad-ass if some of us could meet up on Friday...

So, think about it, and chime in if you're goin'.

Some pics from last year:
http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/motorsports-talk/134339708-sno-drift-2011-a.html#post2714075
http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/motorsports-talk/134339708-sno-drift-2011-a.html#post2715307

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Booked a "cottage" for me and my friends today. I'm getting more excited as we get closer to the new year. Now all we need is SNOW! (stupid 50deg weather) :bs:

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Leaving tomorrow AM to be at the Parc Expose' on Friday afternoon. Look for the 2011 DGM with the ClubWRX.net sticker on the back. Oh, and I'll be wearing my new hat. :)
IMAG0007.jpg
IMAG0058.jpg

·
WRC Junkie
280 Posts
Ok, trying to warm up after watching stage 1. The spectator area was at a "3 right" turn following a long "200 flat" downhill...over ice. So almost everyone went off, some spun, some spun and stalled. And it wasn't better with the FWDs who were crawling.

At least 60% of the spectator cars here are Scoobs.

·
WRC Junkie
280 Posts
Also went to the night stage #8. The spectator area was over a "right 4 into very long right 5" again following a long flat section. Most people done it pretty fast, with one notable oversteer by a Focus.

·
Premium Member
23,369 Posts
Higgins in Charge After Sno*Drift Day One

After Day One at the Sno*Drift Rally, 2011 American Rally Champions David Higgins and his co-driver Craig Drew of Subaru Rally Team USA have a comfortable lead over 2011 Canadian Rally Champion Antoine L'Estage and co-driver Nathalie Richard in their brand new Rockstar Energy Drink Mitsubishi Evo X.

That's the headline of the rally but the real story is the treacherous conditions of the forest roads near Atlanta and Lewiston, Michigan. The crews said the roads changed from gravel to mud to slushy snow to glare ice seemingly without warning.

The road conditions made the critical choice of tires nearly a 'cross-your-fingers-and-wish' for some teams.

"We'd pick up speed in the gravel," said Higgins, "then it was all I could to to keep the car straight on the ice right around the corner." He compared the roads to driving on the historic, mountain top Col du Turini stage at the Rallye Monte-Carlo with racing slicks.

L'Estage said he spun twice in the opening stage allowing Higgins to open a gap of 1:47.3 after five stages. That shrank to 1:34.2 Friday night when the crews returned to Atlanta for the overnight halt.

There were 12 special stages on Friday. There will be another 12 stages starting Saturday morning.

Third in the rally is popular Canadian driver CrazyLeo Urlichich and his co-driver Carl Williamson, a veteran co-driver who's run in more than 700 events around the world. CrazyLeo calls his 2007 Subaru Impreza 'The Beast'.

Urlichich finished second overall in the 2011 Canadian championship but he's 3:26.7 behind Higgins at the end of Friday's stages. This is his first American rally.

read more: worldrallysport.com/node/9160

Rally America/Sno*Drift: rally-america.com/events/2012/SNODRIFT/stages/

Rally America Live Feed: rally-america.com/live/

.:cool:

·
WRC Junkie
280 Posts
Yeah, its cool like that.

The wind chill on the superspecial was bad, knowing a Marshall helped a lot - we could roll up right to the yellow stripe.

Moro wanted to show off and got stuck for good 5 min... right before the time Marshall.

·
Premium Member
23,369 Posts
Subaru Rally Team USA's David Higgins and Craig Drew win the 2012 Sno*Drift Rally:D
and draw first blood in the battle for points against Championship rival Antoine L'Estage.

Their victory on the season opener did not come easily as icy road conditions in Atlanta, Michigan made traction inconsistent. Higgins, the defending American champion, took control of the rally from the outset winning the opening five stages and creating a buffer of nearly 2 minutes between himself and L'Estage by the end of Day One.

An incorrect tire choice by Higgins allowed L'Estage and co-driver Nathalie Richard to reduce the deficit by more than half on Day Two's morning stages, but their efforts were not enough to challenge the Manxman.

L'Estage tried to claw back even more time on the rally's remaining seven stages, but Higgins answered to win all four stages in Saturday’s second loop. Higgins finished the event with a lead of 1 minute and 48.9 seconds over the Canadian champion.

Canadian CrazyLeo Urlichich and Welshman Carl Williamson placed third overall, 7 minutes and 24.3 seconds behind L'Estage.

The next round of the six-event Series is the Rally in the 100 Acre Wood in Salem, Missouri this February 24-25.

click: worldrallysport.com/content/higgins-wins-snodrift-rally

Standings after SS24: rally-america.com/events/2012/SNODRIFT/results/standings/24/

.:cool:

·
WRC Junkie
280 Posts
Urlichich did finish third overall in the standings, but the car failed post rally inspection and was penalized three positions to finish sixth overall.
Basically, at the end of the day someone pointed out to stewards that Beast's catalytic converter was left hanging in the service tent.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts