ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All, I went to check my oil today, and when removing my SuperStik dipstick, I noticed about 2 inches of it (from the full line down) has snapped off. I’m assuming it’s still somewhere in the dipstick tube or at the bottom of the oil pan. Should I be concerned about driving with that 2in unaccounted for?

I just changed the oil recently and it’s due for its 90k service in 3k miles, so if it’s nothing to worry about, I’d prefer to just have the dealership handle it then.

Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes lmao I would not drive it if that was my car. I’d pop off the oil pan and retrieve it. How on earth did that happen?

·
Æternum
20,568 Posts
It would probably be OK to drive to the dealership, but get it fixed ASAP.

Assuming the broken bit is large, it will probably rattle around in the sump and that's about it. The longer you drive it the larger the chance it could damage the pickup and well... as you can probably guess that would be bad.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,205 Posts
Attach several powerful magnets to the bottom of the sump for now.

·
Æternum
20,568 Posts

·
29,205 Posts
My MR2 snapped a dipstick and I was in no mood to be dropping a sump so I took apart a couple old hard drives and found some neodymium magnets and put them on the sump. Then I waited until I’d feel like dropping the sump — that’s yet to happen but after 3-4 years or so I paid my mechanic to do it instead.

On the Impreza you have to remove the subframe and it’s worth looking into the oil pickup tube while everything is apart because the brazing is dodgy on some models, leading to oil feed failures etc.

Merc used to simply provide caps, without a dipstick at all, and the dipstick was a special tool you’d have to buy that was not meant to be left in. They still do this on the gearboxes but not the engines.

·
Æternum
20,568 Posts
On the Impreza you have to remove the subframe and it’s worth looking into the oil pickup tube while everything is apart because the brazing is dodgy on done models, leading to oil feed failures etc.
It is possible -- albeit difficult -- to remove the sump on the EJ205 without removing the subframe. You need a 1/4" driver with several flex joints and a whole lot of luck.

AFAIC, none of this matters. It appears that OP has a newer platform with the FA20 engine.

·
29,205 Posts
I don’t know the FA20 at all, I missed that entire episode and still have a EJ205.

I’d be afraid to put it back together using flex extensions for those bolts because the torque spec is basically nothing and it’d be so easy for me to cross thread and end up with leaks. I’m not skilled enough and lack the dexterity.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It is possible -- albeit difficult -- to remove the sump on the EJ205 without removing the subframe. You need a 1/4" driver with several flex joints and a whole lot of luck.

AFAIC, none of this matters. It appears that OP has a newer platform with the FA20 engine.
I would try to find a small but powerful magnet that would fit into dipstick guide put it onto something long enough and try to get it out that way. If no results, remove oil and the oil pan then retrieve the dipstick part. Do Not Run Car until you have retrieved the part.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts