Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a question?
So I have a 2017 Subaru wrx. I have been modifying it and I got it pro tuned. I'm afraid because I went to a place called Boostin Performance and I went there 3 times and on the third time my car was blowing smoke really bad. I only had 20,000 miles on the motor and they told me I need piston rings and some other stuff and quoted me around 1300 dollars. I was so upset because this was my dream car and now I felt it was ruined and with my third kid on the way no more money. So I decided to sell it. As I'm starting g to take parts off I noticed that there was a vise grips on my crankcase hmmm. I remove them and no more smoke. Boostin Performance denied this and tried to say I put them there. ? so now I have been battling with my car smoking at times. I have just recently installed two oil catch cans and they help but at times I smell oil burn in the cabin and see smoke. Any advice from anyone. As far as parts go on my car
Mishimoto Intake with box
Cobb Access port
Mishimoto top mount intercooler
Down pipe
Go fast bits Bov
Ets turbo back exhaust
Restrictor pill removed
Aem guage
Mishimoto oil cooler
And alot of other stuff done to car
Like lights and shift stoppy etc
Car is making about 300 whp but I know it should be doing more Really think I got a bad tune

·
Æternum
15,864 Posts
Car is making about 300 whp but I know it should be doing more Really think I got a bad tune
First off -- STOP JUMPING TO CONCLUSIONS.

You know the car should be "doing more?" Why? Every dyno and tuner is different. If the car is making 300whp, that seems right for most dynos on those mods.

Second, if a shop quoted you $1300 for replacing piston rings, that's a steal. I'd be more concerned that they don't actually work on boxer motors and that they are in way over their heads here.

Do yourself a favor here -- stop jumping to conclusions and have a compression/leakdown test performed on the vehicle. It's pretty easy to do yourself if you have the tools, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume you don't know much about working on vehicles. Most mechanics should be able to do this.

·
Super Moderator
11,456 Posts
300ish sounds in the ballpark give or take the dynos correction factor.

What exactly were the vise grips clamped to?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The reason I say more than what I'm putting down is because I bought all these parts off my brother in law and he had a 2015 putting 336 whp. I feel because the crankcase hose was clamped which was not allowing the proper air flow was causing a problem. The piston orings they said they wanted to sell me plus I forgot to mention they said they would do a compression test afterwards. This was just for parts not including labor

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As far as working on cars I am not a mechanic but am knowledgeable. My brother in law is a master certified mechanic and he did all the work on my car besides the tune

·
Æternum
15,864 Posts
As far as working on cars I am not a mechanic but am knowledgeable. My brother in law is a master certified mechanic and he did all the work on my car besides the tune
Then why hasn't anyone done a compression test? That's the FIRST thing I'd do if I had oil consumption issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"HeavyCWRX, post: 5311880, member: 353618"]
="HeavyCWRX, post: 5311880, member: 353618"]
U are right why I haven't cause I haven't been to my brother in law for a while he lives 2 hours away. Maybe I should in est in one myself like you said thx for the advice

1 - 7 of 7 Posts