Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently (less than 6 months ago) upgraded to a Grimmspeed intercooler since the stock intercooler was leaking. Since then I have had no problems. 2 weeks ago the sensor that controls the AC compressor malfunctioned causing my compressor to cease up. I have since had the AC compressor, condensor, extraction valve and the sensor replaced. I got the car back yesterday and am noticing a burning smell from the intercooler/inlet pipe and white smoke coming from both. Is this normal for this kind of work or did the shop do something wrong? My concern is that this shop has been very disappointing every step of the way and am very close to taking it to another shop to inspect the work.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,596 Posts
If there were a leak from the Imtercooler you’d have low boost. I’d boost is OK then I’d wait a bit. You could be smelling spilled oil or even thread solvent the shop sprayed etc.

Why did your compressor fail? Did the sensor not allow it to shut off when the refrigerant level dropped or did it over-pressure or?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If there were a leak from the Imtercooler you’d have low boost. I’d boost is OK then I’d wait a bit. You could be smelling spilled oil or even thread solvent the shop sprayed etc.

Why did your compressor fail? Did the sensor not allow it to shut off when the refrigerant level dropped or did it over-pressure or?
I didn't get a great explanation from the shop, but when I took it in originally the pully was no longer attached to the compressor shaft. When I drove home the car after getting the new compressor/condensor/extraction valve, the compressor would continuously turn on and off and would provide no cold air. They determined it was a sensor in the dash (not sure the name of the sensor) and replaced it. I now have AC which is nice but on my way to work started to notice a burning smell and smoke coming from the hood scoop. When I opened the hood it was coming from the intercooler/inlet pipe.

My concern is that everytime they have returned the car to me there has been additional problems (not having AC after having the compressor replaced, and the entire steering column was loose after getting it back the last time) and am not even remotely confident in the quality of work performed (I will not be returning to that shop).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts