Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my wrx is pretty much still stock, but im wondering how far i can go as far as exhaust and still be able to pass the smog test... or if there is a way around it..

was thinking about starting off with an sti up-pipe and removing that cat.. how much will that hurt me?

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
supposedly people are passing CA state emission with one car. i haven't seen it personally, but that's the consensus on the board.

also, removing just the uppipe cat should have no baring on an emissions test. many have proven that you'll still pass with flying colors.

dR

·
Registered
555 Posts
I'm getting mixed messages regarding this issue. The earliest WRX is a 2001 and I was under the impression that the WRX is exempt from smog for 4 years (not sure) in California and then every other year after. So based upon that, no one has had a chance to get a smog yet in Cali.
It's possible someone knew a smog tech and tried an unofficial test just to see after mods.

Again, I'm getting mixed info from both here and NASIOC. There seems to be a lot of speculation.

·
Registered
67 Posts
...the subaru dealership guy I talked to said the inspections places don't test 4wd cars (because almost none of them have 4 wheel dynos)...

I'm thinking this is BS, and they probably test those kinds of cars without a load on the engine right?...

·
Registered
424 Posts
They will still do a sniffer and a visual if your state has one, but yeah, since 4-wheel dyno's like Vishnu's cost like $100,000, the smog stations aren't going to have them to do a load test on it like the new smog laws require. They will do it the 'old' way of being in neutral.

-Jason

·
Registered
18 Posts
New cars in CA. are exempt from smog check for 4 years unless the car is sold. It must pass smog before new ownership and then smog check every two years.

Don't quote me on this one but for AWD vehicle, we are suppose to go to a state inspector which would sucks because most of us won't pass visual inspection. I hoping not because I would fail for sure unless they're idiots.

Hate CARB...BlueMax

·
Registered
424 Posts
If so, then this WOULD suck. I was under the impression that if the shop didn't have the dyno, they couldn't do that part of the test. This would be a total PITA if it has to go to a state inspection station. I wonder if there is a way around that for inconvienience or something. Could they really demand that you drive way out of your way (possibly sacramento?) to get your car smogged vs. going to any gas station in your own neighborhood? This sucks.

-Jason

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I read an article in the latest issue of Super Street on this. Apparently part makers now are adding some color code system on aftermarket parts to tell inspectors if the parts are smog legal or for off road use only.

Personally, I think this sucks. I live in Connecticut, and we have to follow the stupid Cali emissions.

SCREW YOU AMERICA! :mad:

~ Dan (Zapix)

·
Registered
555 Posts
bluemax said:

Don't quote me on this one but for AWD vehicle, we are suppose to go to a state inspector which would sucks because most of us won't pass visual inspection. I hoping not because I would fail for sure unless they're idiots.
Never under-estimate the potential stupidity of state employees.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I once read a quote from a business owner who said it took him less time to build a warehouse in Texas than to put up a flagpole in California. He wasn't kidding.

Stop-sign tailpipe sniffers? Jesus Christ on a sesame seed bun.

How the hell can you people stand all this crap?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Dude!

You can snowboard on fresh powder and surf on killer waves all on the same day!

Tahoe, SF, Vegas, San Diego, Mexico, and LA are all less than a day's drive.

Hg.

·
Registered
424 Posts
True, it is nice, but WHO is passing all these laws, all the people I talk to don't like them, but someone must be voting for them...right? :(

-Jason

·
Registered
555 Posts
jmussetter said:
True, it is nice, but WHO is passing all these laws, all the people I talk to don't like them, but someone must be voting for them...right? :(
I think it's the people who vote most or at least represent the larger voting percentile...I'm guessing the 40-60 year olds. The pips on this board probably represent a very, almost laughable small, minority. Most people do not mod their cars. I think most see thier cars as just transportation units.

Cal/EPA leads the way for the rest of the EPA and the world (in some cases...I use to be in environmental consulting). I don't necessarily agree w/ all their decisions though.

Hg.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts