Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I recently purchased a 2018 WRX and love the car however, I am having some issues out of it.

I am going to assume the person that had the car before me had it tuned once before. I can hit 22psi in every gear if I try too.

Love the car but it has always ran rich (I've had it almost 2 months) and have problems with it randomly shutting off while driving. Some days I can drive it 100 miles without any issues, other days I can drive 50 miles and it can shut off 2/3 times. The previous owner had a hybrid BOV on it and it was suggested that the car wasn't tuned for that. After that suggestion I ordered a Boomba BPV and installed that. That did not resolve the issues as the car is still shutting off randomly.

People have suggested that it may just need a tune bc the AFR is off. People have suggested just trashing the whole car and purchasing a new one (i don't have a warranty). I just purchased an AP for it today and should be here tomorrow but I am at a loss as to what to do and any help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't really want to get rid of the car as it only has 20k miles and this seems to be the only issue that I am having from it.
IMG_2209.jpg

Only known mods are the BPV, aftermarket air filter, & an Air/Oil separator.

Thanks in advance!

·
Æternum
15,516 Posts
I just purchased an AP for it today and should be here tomorrow but I am at a loss as to what to do and any help would be greatly appreciated.
First things first, you should NOT be throwing more money at the wall and hoping it sticks. Subaru built a functional vehicle, so if you are having problems, installing an AP will NOT help.

You need to first address the elephant in the room: modifications. You need to find out EXACTLY what has been modified. Take the car to someone that knows Subarus. Off the bat, I can clearly see an AOS has been installed which is a good indication of further modifications. It's not uncommon for people to sell their car with an AP installed and tune flashed, then to remove parts and not address the ECU calibration mismatch. That could be what has happened here, so you may not even be able to install the AP. If you are able, that could further exacerbate the problem. Have the order canceled. Use the funds to take the car to an expert. You are in over your head here.

People have suggested that it may just need a tune bc the AFR is off.
People think they are experts. Ignore them. This is poor advice. Tuning is the final stage AFTER mechanical problems have been addressed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts