ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
where do people get these things, they are so tiny that i could never expect them to survive any sorta crash.

anyway here it is

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
but can you buy one at a dealer or is it some strange grey market deal.

thats the part im confused with.

luke

·
Registered
264 Posts
The one pictured is an older model, which means that it was probally imported from Canada. The newer ones which are supposed to be on sale sometime in the 1st quater of 08 in the US are running around. Either from one of the "smart tours" http://smartusa.com/smart-usa-on-tour.aspx or from someone that is most likely gonna be a distributer. So... officially they are not for sale here yet, but supposedly soon.

·
Registered
842 Posts
can they even go on the freeway? i'd be too worried to anyway.

·
Registered
416 Posts
You see those things all over here in Seattle (hippie central). My neighbor has one with a lovely little rainbow sticker across the back window...

·
Banned
2,593 Posts
You see those things all over here in Seattle (hippie central). My neighbor has one with a lovely little rainbow sticker across the back window...
+1

I've seen tons around here.

·
Registered
593 Posts
The FORD dealership I used to work at had 5 Smart cars. There were a blast to drive if you weren't concerned with going 100mph. Although you can get close! The one in the picture is the same model we had. The owner of the dealership bought them as a sort of a "Get rich quick" skeem that didn't pan out at all. 3 cyl. turbo's are kinda fun with the sequential trans. Although he was trying to get $30k for them which wasn't going to fly. I'm glad I don't work there anymore..... Anywayz sorry for the long post. I belive this model is called the "Passion".

·
Premium Member
6,298 Posts
I believe Roger Penske owns the SMART distribution rights in the US, but Smart is actually owned by Mercedes Benz. I got on the list to drive the new models last year, and although impressive in design and a pretty solid inner city commuter car, they are a bit scary on the highway. They get sucked and blown around by cross winds and semi's pretty easily. I can see where these would be nice in the city, but def. would have to avoid higway driving in them. The safety cage is pretty innovated, so I don't think folks will have too much to worry about regarding getting in a wreck.

·
Registered
0 Posts
i wonder if i could fit into one of thoes ?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Easy. They have plenty of room for driver/passenger. Although there is slim to null space to store crap, on the passion model at least. Behind the seats in the "Hatch" there is only room for maybe two bags of groceries. I'm 6' and about 230, had no problems fitting into it. Out salesman was about 6'3" and he had no problem either.

·
Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin
5,780 Posts

·
Banned
0 Posts
I drove next to one in one of the worst wind storms I had ever driven through. I was amazed to see it stay on the road. :cool: It was a freeway and he was crusing at 70+

·
Banned
0 Posts

·
Boba Fett
17,939 Posts
I remember seeing a thread a few years back on a .ca forum where someone had tipped over the guys smart car. He wasn't happy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts