Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well a few weeks ago I did this:
http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44321&highlight=mangled

I got my car back last week, and it looks like the dealership overlooked this paint crack. When the wheel slamed back into the fender, it bent it back very slightly. I guess this stress cuased a 1-2cm crack in the paint. Right now it doesn't bother me, but I could flake the paint off with my finger if I tried hard enough. I'm afraid it will rust.

What do you think I should do? I'm afaid that if I take it to the dealership, they'll replace the entire fender. That will cost mucho $ and I'm worried about the paint matching. Can I put touch up or something on this? Can I leave it alone?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
heres a picture

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
skvfx said:
erm...theres a crack? :confused1
yeah, i just suck at taking pictures of it :wiggles:

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But will it rust??? This is my greatest fear.

·
Banned
968 Posts
I wouldnt even worry about that.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I did the axact same thing and have the exact same problem, does your paint look like this ?
When I asked about it, everyone seemed to think that it would rust :(

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah the inside of my wheel well looks like your, but my fender isn't bent. just the crack is all that concerns me. I'd like to leave it alone, but I'm worried it will start rusting or something.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok, so this is something that needs to be fixed. What would fixing this involve? Complete repainting or touch up paint?

·
Premium Member
19,094 Posts
Touch up paint will make it more pleasant to look at, but will likely not stop the rust. To be sure the panel will not rust you will need to have it refinished.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Trainrex,,, I was looking at the pic on your post... Did you race modifieds... I live near Wall stadium and know some guys.. :p

·
Premium Member
19,094 Posts
My brother and I started at wall last season. We used to race a late model at mountain speedway in Pa, but couldn't take the politics anymore so we bought Jamie Tomano's old car and got into modifieds. We had a pretty good season and ended up spending alot of time with the Blewetts. Right now we are in the process of building a new troyer car for next season. I'm probably going to move more into the Crew chief aspect of the game because my brother (i hate to admit) is definately better in the car:p

/Hijack

·
Registered
164 Posts
I know some of the older guys from there. A good friend "Skip" Hartranft used to race there in late models. I knew the Truex's, Blewits(informally), Mauriello's, Rogers, when they where (and some still are) there. The track is real good now they built it up. Hopefully Wall township wont "F" with them too much and let them build it up to what it should be. Good luck, hope to see you guys next season. :D

·
Premium Member
19,094 Posts
grimm said:
I know some of the older guys from there. A good friend "Skip" Hartranft used to race there in late models. I knew the Truex's, Blewits(informally), Mauriello's, Rogers, when they where (and some still are) there. The track is real good now they built it up. Hopefully Wall township wont "F" with them too much and let them build it up to what it should be. Good luck, hope to see you guys next season. :D
We were pitting next to The Blewetts and Rogers all season, great guys. The Truex's are still there too (also great guys). We definately like it there alot, and got a great welcome from everybody at least until the last race where I managed to get in a fistfight with Ryan Seaman....whoops:D At least I don't have to worry about that next season because he is moving up to Busch North:D Thank you for your good wishes:)

Once again, sorry about the hijack

·
Registered
644 Posts
i was thinking... tape up around the spot where its chipped... sand that little piece and then using an airbrush paint it and then put some clearcoat on it. (sorry for bringing up such an old thread)

·
Registered
164 Posts
i was thinking... tape up around the spot where its chipped... sand that little piece and then using an airbrush paint it and then put some clearcoat on it. (sorry for bringing up such an old thread)
Definately the way to go. AS long as you sand the paint back past the cracked edge, and you are good at painting,,, you can color sand the paint if its a basic color and blend it. you might see a diff up close but it will kill the rust and keep the damage from getting bigger,,, and it will get worse.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts