ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stage 2 wrx but ever since I added the downpipe I get no power after 3rd gear. There is no boost only hitting max of 12psi. Also, lately I have had issues with 3rd gear and higher when just driving. It will go directly from 3000 to redline with no speed change and barely added throttle. Have tried so much. Please help!!!

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,077 Posts
Is your clutch slipping?!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sometimes I’ve noticed what could be a slip and a clutch smell without having a bad shift or any issue shifting

·
Æternum
20,424 Posts
Sure sounds like clutch slippage.

·
Æternum
20,424 Posts
What could this mean of the clutch was slipping?
It means you need a new clutch and probably a new flywheel.

How many miles on the car? TBH, we are assuming that the car has a manual transmission. Can you confirm?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It means you need a new clutch and probably a new flywheel.

How many miles on the car? TBH, we are assuming that the car has a manual transmission. Can you confirm?
There’s only 48k on it and yes it is manual. Would the clutch and flywheel fix the power issue?

·
Æternum
20,424 Posts
There’s only 48k on it and yes it is manual. Would the clutch and flywheel fix the power issue?
It means there is no "power issue."

The clutch is the thing that connects your engine to the wheels. If the clutch is slipping, it means engine power is not going to the wheels.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It means there is no "power issue."

The clutch is the thing that connects your engine to the wheels. If the clutch is slipping, it means engine power is not going to the wheels.
1st and 2nd not bad but after that it’s nothing. Thank you for the help

·
Æternum
20,424 Posts
1st and 2nd not bad but after that it’s nothing. Thank you for the help
That further supports my point.

The mechanical advantage is greatest in 1st and 2nd gear. Slippage will be most accentuated when the engine is working at the highest load and at the lowest mechanical advantage (higher gears, higher loads).

Reactions: Rofl it's Waffle

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

The mechanical advantage is greatest in 1st and 2nd gear. Slippage will be most accentuated when the engine is working at the highest load and at the lowest mechanical advantage (higher gears, higher loads).

Makes perfect sense. Again thank you for the help!

·
Æternum
20,424 Posts
How long have you been driving manual?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Æternum
20,424 Posts
There are three reasons that a clutch could wear out with so few miles.

1. The vehicle is modified and so the clutch has to contend with more torque than intended
2. An inexperienced driver will wear out the clutch faster
3. Possible quality issue

It seems probable to me that the first two points could be the reason for premature failure. That said, 48k miles is not a lot. I've not had a clutch wear out in a car with less than 120k miles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There are three reasons that a clutch could wear out with so few miles.

1. The vehicle is modified and so the clutch has to contend with more torque than intended
2. An inexperienced driver will wear out the clutch faster
3. Possible quality issue

It seems probable to me that the first two points could be the reason for premature failure. That said, 48k miles is not a lot. I've not had a clutch wear out in a car with less than 120k miles.
Yes happened shortly after a downpipe was added. What do you suggest I do?

·
Æternum
20,424 Posts
Yes happened shortly after a downpipe was added. What do you suggest I do?
Well if I were in your shoes, I'd probably do further diagnostic to confirm that the clutch is the cause of your problems. If the engine revs up to redline and the vehicle doesn't go anywhere, that is certainly a clutch failure. In that case, it's time for a clutch replacement. Given the low mileage, the clutch carrier and flywheel may be reconditioned, but it really depends on how bad the car has been abused. No offense intended, but you don't sound terribly knowledgeable (we are all learning!) so consulting a mechanic would be my suggested course of action.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i had an evo x that did that but got rid of it before i had to replace it i think the person that had the car had no idea how to drive stick i was so stuck on low miles that i overlooked that but the sti i have drives great

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a stage 2 wrx but ever since I added the downpipe I get no power after 3rd gear. There is no boost only hitting max of 12psi. Also, lately I have had issues with 3rd gear and higher when just driving. It will go directly from 3000 to redline with no speed change and barely added throttle. Have tried so much. Please help!!!
Did you remove the pill from the intake side of the turbo? It's like a T-connecter that goes to the vacuum lines.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts