Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm heading into my second week of WRX ownership.

I've been spending my time practicing my rev matching and heel/toe on my commute (it's all backroads, w00t!), and one thing consistantly bothers me- the revs wind up pretty slow compared to my Miata. I'm used to just blipping the throttle to get the revs where I need it for a downshift, but sometimes in the wrx it feels like I have to really HOLD DOWN the gas to get it there. I mean it's still probably less than a second, but it feels like forever.

The obvious fix is a lightened flywheel. However, there's no way that's in the cards anytime in the near future due to cost and the greater priority of suspension mods- besides, a lightened flywheel is certainly not going to be STX class legal. :(

Can anyone think of a servicable, prefferably STX-legal means of getting the engine to rev more freely? Any help from a unichip, maybe?

·
Registered
932 Posts
Several of us here, myself included, have found that installing a lightened crank pulley, like the TB Racing stock diameter one, really loosens up the revs. Rev matching has become much easier for me since the install. And there's no loss of electical power. I highly recommend it and it's very affordable (~$125).

You might also want to get a larger downpipe with a bellmouth. I drove a friend's WRX with the catless Graham Goode Racing turbo back exhaust and I was shocked at how quickly that car revved and spooled! This guy consistently beats me and another WRX with stock turboback exhausts. Vishnu Stage 0 -esque setups and aftermarket swaybars by a few seconds! The only suspension mods he has are Falken Azeni tires. In fact, after test driving all of our respective cars (all silver WRX sedans) with out various mods, his with only the catless turbo-back felt 1/2 the weight of the others.

Needless to say, the guy with the VSO car and I were kicking ourselves in the head.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts